10 Likes

11133A6E-076E-4EE9-B29A-022426478CD1

6 Likes

Will it do the job

I have the slightly better version of it but I couldnā€™t find the exact thing

Here is the exact one

Will it work for small bits and bobs

1 Like

Yeah that should be okay. Remember to flux everything well on the top of it.

2 Likes

What flux do you recommend

1 Like

I use LA-CO flux.

EDIT:
Please do not use this as it may have weird properties, like corrosion or even conduction.
Cheers to @wafflejock to have found this, even though i have been using it without consequence.

2 Likes

Also @Halbj613 i donā€™t know how old you are but i heard you are quite young.
Please try to solder in an open space/outside or if you canā€™t get a small fan to deviate the fumes as they are really not that good for you. I mean a mask would be better but i quality certification 3 fumes mask costs 20+ pounds so i can understand it would not suit your budget.

1 Like

For the price 1kg of this stuff is not bad at all imo. Depends how much soldering youā€™re doing I suppose.

1 Like

Heā€™s 15 or 16 now. I donā€™t know it exactly.

Can you strip the third wire after soldering? You leave the the third wire on the solder joint and strip the rest of the wire off.

2 Likes

This stuff is nasty for permanent installations. The adhesive gets goopy and migrates everywhere over time, and the tape unsticks. If you need to use tape, look for Tesa tape.

Mmm I would be very careful with this stuff. Use electronics specific flux if possible. Kester, MG Chemical are good brands. Comes in a lot of specific formulas. Most likely want RA flux for our use. I find the liquid stuff in needle bottles the most convenient. Some like it in pen form. The paste flux in a jar can also work okay.

In the US Kester 186 is good general use flux, but Kester only sells it in gallon jugs. People repackage and sell on ebay, like this:

The stuff in syringes, Iā€™d stay away from for eskate. Itā€™s more appropriate for tiny PCB smt stuff. Thereā€™s a lot of not-so-good stuff in syringes as well, as the good stuff is expensive and a pain to get.

NOTE: For LACO flux, found this in amazon reviews

UPDATE: BECOMES CONDUCTIVE/IS CONDUCTIVE - FOUND OUT HARD WAY

Non electronics flux often has weird properties, like corrosion or ugh, conduction?

5 Likes

Cheers thanks for the help

Awesome thread

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip. Agree donā€™t use electrical tape outside of enclosures if you can avoid and there are probably better options, but it will work in a pinch and inside an enclosure like below I donā€™t expect a ton of relative motion of the components. I should still replace the JST connection for the receiver I managed to get by with just heatshrink for most things.

All the board in pic above have double side mounting tape holding them in place and are pretty snug.

3 Likes

oof. now, what do i do?? been using this for quite a while and have had no problemsā€¦
i always cleaned it iso alcohol thoroughly though.

Can you link some other stuff aswell that is not too expensive that works. Mg chemicals syringe flux cost
15$ for 10mlā€¦ an arm an leg.
Am i missing something?

This times 100!

I donā€™t understand?
why is everyone complaining about this one thing lol :joy:

@Halbj613 we are the same age then :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :love_you_gesture:
I am 16 in a few days :yum:

1 Like

I think youā€™re fine, this could be a major problem on circuit boards and small things where flux might complete a circuit. But for things like bullet connectors, it wonā€™t matter much if at all.

The ebay link is like $7? Search for Kester 186 on ebay/amazon, you should be able to find tiny bottles for under $10. I bought 2 bottles, and the first bottle looks like itā€™s gonna last until the end of timeā€¦

Haha I donā€™t think anyoneā€™s complaining. You did good. Weā€™re discussing details on how to do this joint, as there doesnā€™t seem to be a satisfying perfect method.

1 Like

near 20.

1 Like

hehe i will have a look on amazon. the link does not ship to france, or to europe i would assume.

Thank you :facepunch: :innocent: :partying_face:

1 Like

TUrned 15 in September but have the maturity of a 4 year old

So close enough I guess

7 Likes

when one can start talking about his or her maturity then you have already surpassed the maturity of over 80% of the whole population.
Keep at it mate! :facepunch:

3 Likes