Sensored Cogging

Just wiped out about 20 min ago on my ride and after I picked myself up off the ground and got on my way I noticed the motors are cogging now at a dead stop.

Unsure of whether it is both or just one, but there is a big hesitation when starting. It kind of feels like I load up a clutch and then dump it.

It Cogs, Cogs, Cogs, then almost throws me off as I go.

I’m sure me being speedy off the light to beat cars and just mashing the throttle isn’t the best, but is there anyway I can tune out/down the cog?

Also does me crashing have anything to do with it? Board didn’t flip it just slipped out which ended up with me doing 25mph across a bunch of gravel. Board looks fine physically just the clogging problem.

I haven’t pulled it apart yet, I will check it out tomorrow to see if the inside is fine and dandy (hopefully should be but we all know how that goes)

Oh Specs:
Focbox Tenka
12s4p
140kv 6374
16t/64t
165mm Pneumatics
Puck Remote

I’m trying to remember if the cogging was there before the crash but as far as I remember it wasn’t (that’s normally pretty noticeable). I do ~30 miles a day so I have a feeling I would notice it.

Thanks y’all

2 Likes

Maaaaan I forget to change the damn name before I posted it

Sorry you had a fall. Hope you weren’t too inured.

So, when you say cogging, what exactly does that sound/feel like? Is this a completely new behavior that makes it feel like something is obviously broken? Could you post video of it?

Seeing a Tenka in a configuration is usually not a great sign, especially if you’re hammering the acceleration pretty hard. They weren’t ever very good at high current, and generally they were just not very good to begin with. So my gut reaction is that the Tenka went bad.

But you’d have to now work through troubleshooting to isolate where the issue is, and if the VESC or motors are a cause.

3 Likes

Okay I will take a video today and get it posted. I have been hearing things about the Tenka that have been not so good, so I will have to double check it then.
Fall wasn’t too bad. Just a small concussion and some bruising.

If the Tenka went bad, Makerx is a good replacement?
I’ve been looking at the DV6

Check your phase wires if all connectors are fully connected. It could also be a bad solder joint which results in cogging. Then check your sensor wires. If one is broken or disconnected you also get cogging at startup.

3 Likes