Seeking Repair Advice for Broken TB 6380 Motor

I have been riding on dual 6380s for a couple months now and yesterday I heard a noise coming from the drive train. When I stopped I could see that one of the cans was separating from the rest of the motor. I am a complete noob when it comes to motor repair, but I am interested in learning. Is this a common breakage? Can I order replacement parts from @torqueboards? I am tempted to lay on a thick layer of JB weld and then hope for the best, but I want to seek the advice of those with more experience first. @kook @b264

7 Likes

Dang!!! What on earth was rubbing against that can!!!

1 Like

how did it just come off? did you hit something?

1 Like

What was your belt tension like? I’ve yet to see this kind of failure. Were you using the outside mounting screw holes?

The wear on the shaft-side was caused by rubbing at the wheel well against a bamboo deck before I had the mounts adjusted perfectly. Pretty sure that damage was only cosmetic and I only rode it like that for one run weeks ago.

Belt tension was just about perfect. I could press the belts maybe a 1/4 inch and I had excellent free roll and could apply full brakes without skipping teeth. Not exactly sure what you mean by the “outside mounting screw holes”. I was using TB v6 mounts and the only holes that line up with the motors.

EDIT: Looking at the can I understand what you mean now. Yes, I was using the outside mounting holes on the motor.

1 Like

I was riding relatively slow (@15 mph) on a rough patch of road. There were a lot of vibrations, although I don’t think a single impact caused the damage, I cannot rule it out. We have too many rocks on our roads here.

1 Like

i have never seen a motor do this even on really rough roads so maybe a manufacturing error?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm I’ve never actually seen a failure such as this… it looks catastrophic… I would seriously doubt JB Weld would be a viable permanent solution, that plate holds the entire motor on and the bearing square to the shaft, i doubt you could get enough JB weld on that to substantially add much strength… (but necessity is the mother of invention… and you really can’t mess it up more than it is if you can mitigate JB Weld form going everywhere and effecting either motor rotation or motor mounting)

Personally I’d ask Dex @torqueboards if he has a spare piece, and or who is the OEM of the motor, I originally thought TB was rebranded Maytechs but it doesn’t appear so…

I’d probably ask in this thread:

if someone has a blowed-up TB 6380 or any 63xx motor

the motor mounting/bearing housing end all looks similar from this pik… and I’ve had some good success soucing misc. parts from that thread…

good luck buddy…

EDIT: can you see or figure out what caused that malfunction? if it was simply a bad part, replacing it would probably solve the prob. but if your set-up somehow exacerbated, or caused that failure, you’ll probably continue to fuck it up till ya fix it…

2 Likes

I’ve never seen a motor fail in this way. Wow

4 Likes

That thing is fuuukeeedddd up bad

I’m trying to imagine how that could happen and I can’t :neutral_face:

this isnt a standalone part that can be replaced like the bell, it’s attached to stator, not sure how it’s attached, but I’ve never seen just that piece by itself

3 Likes

I do have a broken TB6380 first-gen that I was about to take apart and see if it’s repairable.

If not, and IF that piece is removable (it might not be) then MAYBE I possibly MIGHT have that piece extra in the near future

5 Likes