Salvaged DRVs FETs and STM32s

I want to get some thoughts on reusing DirectFets, DRVs and STM32s from damaged vescs and other escs and devices.
Personally I think the STM32 is easily salvageable and reusable, the FETs and DRVs on the other hand require harsher methods of removal and I don’t know how that impacts what was a known good component.
If you do this regularly I’m interested in hearing your experiences :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

@seaborder and @JohnnyMeduse are the resident wizards as far as I’m aware.

3 Likes

In my opinion you can use the mcu and drv as long as they are not damaged - you need to confirm, so it depends what was wrong with the device you take them off from. MCU for example, will be flashable etc. but in the end maybe it does short something inside. I had that issue with vcc/ground short couple of days ago. Same for the DRV. For these parts I recommend to just use new ones if you are not sure! For other ICs there are even testing devices. DirectFets isnt an easy task to change because if you are unlucky there CAN BE a little short from the solder between g/s/d and it will explode destroying your whole pcb in seconds. Because I dont see any way to check except for an xray machine to see under the directmosfet. The little caps and resistors are reusable for sure (just meassure them, multimeter, oscilloscope) but on the other side they cost nothing, but can save your ass when you are out of stock or so. Hope I was able to help :slight_smile:

4 Likes

hey, do you happen to know the part number for the usb-c port on the unity?

Have to check at home, but it should be a standart usb c vertical connector.

1 Like