EDIT No.3 I have converted this board yet again to an AT capable ride. I have updated the images to show progression.
EDIT: I now have an Esk8 commuter! I have edited the first post to show the pictures. I still consider this 80% complete as I need to update the grip, mount bracket, new wheels, one of those x-plate brackets, general upgrades/improvements to the build. But the main thing is, I have done approx. 100km without any catastrophic failures.
Current Part List:
- Deck = Santa Cruz 41£ Concave
- Trucks = Front TB 218mm Rear Evolve DKP
- Wheels = 6” AT Evolve
- Mount/Drive kit = Evolve mount and motor bracket, 15mm belts, 15T pulley
- Motor = TB 6374mm 190kv x 2 (cut shaft with Dremel to fit within AT wheels)
- ESC = Focbox Unity
- Battery = TB 12s4p + their enclosure badly fitted to my deck
- Charger = TB 4A charger (blew up my 2A one :))
- Remote = TB Mini remote
- Safety Gear = Triple 8 helmet, G-force elite joint pads
- Miscellanous parts:
- JST plug 2.0mm pitch + crimp cable to extend and fit the Hall sensors to Focbox.
- XT90 to XT60 adapter from battery to Focbox connector
- Heat shrink for soldered connections
- Foam and insulation tape for diy seal between deck and enclosure
- Grub screws for TB motor mount clamps
- Blue loctite for everything
- Wine, beer
- Speaker for motivation with classical
- Foam for space between components in enclosure
- Winows emulator for my Mac to run Focbox tool
- Matches to shrink wrap
- Cable braid that I later took off because its a fuck
- Sticky cable clips for neater cables
Day 1 - dismantle my longboard
Stage 2 - Order stuff
Stage 3 - Mock install
Stage 4 - Wait for delivery
Stage 5 - Install more stuff!
Stage 6 - Solder stuff because I didn’t check compatible components
Stage 7 - Drill my deck for the enclosure and add foam, holes and stuff
Stage 8 - Connect Focbox (nervously) to battery and to motors and PC
Stage 9 - Yes, you guessed it, scream like a little girl receiving a pony for Xmas and ride her to work!
Stage 10 - Break the sound barrier
——-—-——————PHASE 2 - New Deck and AT Wheels———————-———-
——-——-PHASE 3 - Revamp original deck and install Evolve AT Kit——————-
PHASE 3.1 - remove and rotate the front trucks as I put them the wrong way round and fell off when pulling away
So I have spent a good year on the builders forum and a month on here reading and chiming in every now and then so I’ve decided to finally start. I was reluctant to type first build until I had actually pulled the trigger and bought my first parts - which I have.
Whilst researching for what seems like an age has been great to give me a head start, I also feel like the game has changed so many times that I’m just going to wing this hard.
Deck: Santa Cruz 41” Concave - Existing board, now worried it is too flexible
Trucks: TB’s 218mm (paid)
Wheels: TB’s 97mm (paid)
Motor: TB’s 6374 190kv x2 (paid)
Drive: TB’s motor mount kit (outwards), 15mm belt, 16T Motor Pulley (paid)
ESC: Either - 2 x TB’s ESC or 2 x single FSESC6.6 over the Dual, or Unity (not convinced on dual) (not paid)
Controller: No idea yet
Battery: 12s4p with C/D BMS - One built by someone on here and one built by me
Riding down hills on this desk I have definitely become unconfident when the ground becomes slightly rough and now thinking how will this feel going 35km/h+?
If anyone has any recommendations for a good stiff deck that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg I’d appreciate it.
Also, I have done a lot of reading between single and dual ESC, and after reading the pro’s and con’s I’m still not sure whether to stick with dual and be simpler, or go with single and be safer.
I’m hoping @TinnieSinker will still be keen to make me a battery and I’m also going to set about building my own battery too - I am planning on having multiple boards, so my thinking was that I could use a pre-made pack by someone with experience and copy/learn from it.
This excites me…