Revisting 12mm vs 15mm belts

I have read some threads pertaining to 12mm and 15mm belts. In what situation/use/build is 12mm best to use? In what situation/use/build is 15mm best to use?

Thanks in advance!

12mm pros:

• narrower, meaning it could be the only option on some pulleys or narrow truck setups. Sometimes idlers aren’t wide enough for 15mm
  • better free-roll, because there’s less belt to flex

15mm pros:

• wider, meaning it can transfer more torque before snapping or teeth skipping on the pulleys
  • thus longer lasting

Either is fine, I wouldn’t sweat about it.

12 Likes

Yeah, I seem to remember @longhairedboy abusing 12mm belts with no undue breakage.

2 Likes

Indeed. Now i’m pushing almost 2 years on a set of 15s. I ride every day too. Its all about alignment, good parts, good tension, and avoiding loose, belt hating bullshit on trails.

4 Likes

You need to look at a system and balance the components.

12mm is fine on a dule motor built reduced drag with out having skipping and snapping issues. When applying the brakes is the time demand the most from your belts I’ve ran some big gear reduction for max acceleration and a properly aligned and tensioned 12mm belt doesn’t snap or skip. I can shread a 9mm belt in a couple of minutes

I’d use 15mm
Single motor builds
Insane motor and battry build
Off road MTB builds
Running baggy belts that are not alined

On a urethane build I like to run a 13mm flanged motor pully (super hard to get your hands on) 15mm wide wheel pully. This means the motor pullys keeps the belt Alined when things flex and the wheel pully has some play and won’t run part off causing increased we are on one side of the belt.

3 Likes