Review my plan: basic dual rear mount 6355

Quick update on how it turned out, and maybe the final word on this build unless someone has anything to add.

1. rear mount did not work because the motors interfered with the pivot on the BN 33 rear truck so I went to front mount

2. my first go at front mount I clocked the BN mounts too parallel with the ground and got some light scraping going off curbs and such

3. clocking them so the mounts angled upward on the next set of bolt holes, caused the mounts to touch the bottom of the deck in sharp turns

4. so I added 3/4 of an inch worth of riser pads to the existing rubber pad and problem solved

5. this puts the deck higher than I like, but it rides super nice with the 184 BN trucks and I can carve to my heart’s content (I’m more of a carver than a speedster)

So:

-BN trucks front and rear
-BN mounts with idlers
-BN pulleys (40t)
-BN pinions (14t)
(yes, geared more for torque than speed)
90mm ABEC flywheels (I said I was geared for torque)
-FlipSky 6354’s
-BKB Xenith VESC
-BKB Voyager remote ($$$) I would have bought the cheaper one but they were out. I have learned to like the data that the Voyager gives
-two 5s 30c lipo packs in series to simulate 10s

With the small wheels and torque-biased gearing, I have all the hill climbing torque I need with the 6354’s.

I consider this build a success. It was/is everything I wanted it to be other than being taller than I had originally wished due to the tall spacer stack.

I’d still like to do a rear mount one day, but these particular BN mounts with 6354’s hit the pivot cup of the BN 33 degree truck I am using. I would need longer mounts to do a rear mount setup to get the motors aft of the pivot cup.

BTW, here is a pic of how it stands right now, with the tall truck spacer stack. You can see the scraping on the BN mounts from where I had it clocked more parallel. I needed the tall spacer stack to re clock it into the position you see it in now:

Even with only 6354’s, with the short 90mm wheels and the 14/40 ratio, the acceleration is amazingly good, which again translates to the torque I want for climbing the hills carve back down later.

-Peter

2 Likes