Revel at the "brand" new competitor in the direct drive Esk8 race!

Esk8supply has them.

3 Likes

Thanks! But man Haggy Pepe’s are still cheaper by a tad!.. hard pressed to make a call.

If you want to borrow mine for a bit to try, let me know. It’s a great 90mm.

2 Likes

Thanks Bill, I’ll reach out in due course… funny thing is I ride so infrequently these days, but I still want to collect wheels like trophies / or precious candy. Almost feels like having a hidden stash for for those hazey days… haha.

2 Likes

It has happened previously that emails from customers have been ending up in Flo’s spam folder. So maybe you can reach him here @revel_flo

Same boat. Starting to collect wheels like sneakers.

2 Likes

Tb 110mm 72a, 105mm cloudwheels, 115mm “onsra” wheels and maybe even the 95mm labeda produced shark wheels are possibly on the horizon

1 Like

For the vibration alerting low voltage; are you guys saying that I should stop riding shortly after getting the first vibration? I think I remember getting a first vibration and it saying “voltage at 25%” I would stop and swap out the battery when it vibrated and read “voltage at 10%” but not at 25%. Are you saying that when using 120mm wheels with the extended range battery, I should stop at 25%? Or is it ok to ride until 10%?

Honestly I’ve ridden it down to 10% on hills and had no problems at all. I wouldn’t stress it super hard when it’s that low though because it’s theoretically possible to hurt the cells if you ask too much at that charge but the kit does a good job of throttling back power to prevent that.

You can ride past 25% just fine, especially if it’s not hilly

2 Likes

@pkasanda here strongly advises against it

The Revel Kit battery is probably a little bit more resilient than I gave it credit for in my earlier posts.

My friend Rob thought he overdepleted/damaged his battery by ignoing 2 - 3 vibration alerts but it turned out that battery had a broken solder joint. So that situation influenced my earlier posts.

I did have one of my ownstandard range batteries appear to suffer damage in cold weather with oversized 110mm wheels and me as a 215 pound rider. I ignored three vibration alerts because I was trying to read the momentary text on the remote screen. After returning to base, that battery would not take a charge. But after a day of recovery it did take a charge. Then I though it had outrageously short range. However, when the weather warmed up and I swapped off the oversized wheels for 90mm, the battery in question seems to have normal range.

So rider weight, temperature and wheels size are all factors that you should take into consideration when you interpret a vibration alert. The more adverse the conditions, the more you should think about stopping at the first vibration.

The vibration alert does mean that your battery has dropped below the critical low voltage threashold. So there is certainly no harm in stopping after the first one.

Now, during warmer weather, I will occasionally ride past the first vibration alert-- especially if it was triggered by hard acceleration. When I get the second vibration alert, I usually coast to a stop and swap.

But when the cold weather returns, I feel it’s time to heed the first alert.

1 Like

Be careful with 120mm wheels. Every time you accelerate, the motor and battery are working 30% harder than the acceleration you experience at your feet. So even though you don’t feel like you are accelerating hard, the battery is getting drawn down as if you are drag racing uphill.

Even just sustaining your speed to counter wind and rolling resistance can very quickly drag down the battery voltage. Rolling resistance on ??cloud wheels?? – that rolling resistance is much higher than PU rolling resistance.

I rode for a month with 110mm TB 78A’s on my 4WD Revel Kit. Even with two batteries mounted (4WD), my range was extremely short – often under 10 km.

It took me a while to figure out just how hard the larger diameter wheels were on the batteries and range. Once I figured that out, I switched down to 100mm and eventually down to 90mm.

So @VanderlaySookie. You are riding a 2WD with half the battery capacity that I had and 10% larger wheels. I’m guessing that if you are posting with concerns about vibration alerts it is because you are getting them much much earlier in your rides compared to when you were riding on stock wheels.

You might be seeing them as early as 3 - 5 km into a fresh battery. This would be consistent with putting very heavy acceleration loads on a relatively small battery.

So in your situation, you should interpret your vibration alerts as being much more serious than when you had your stock wheels in place. Once you hit your first vibration alert, it is going to be very difficult to continue “gently” because any throttle input that you give to the remote will be amplified 30% by the wheel diameter and an additional xx% by the rolling resistance of a cloud wheel.

My personal opinion is that 120mm cloud wheels are really only suitable for a 4WD revel Kit and only if the rider is also willing to roll back their acceleration habits to 30% to 50% below typical acceleration habits.

Direct Drive motors have a long list of advantages including low maintenance, efficiency, range, silence, durability, comfort and wheel swapping. However, there is one disadvantage which is that you can’t gear down for large diameter wheels. If you combine direct drives with massive batteries, then you can largely compensate for the voltage sag effects of large diameter wheels.

A 4WD revel Kit is not what I’d call a massive battery but it is double that of 2WD.
The increased battery capacity does alot to mitigate voltage sag during “big wheel acceleration”, but you can still loose alot of range if you accelerate hard on 110’s or 120’s, etc.

3 Likes

@pkasanda Thanks for all of the useful information and warnings. Actually, I was never concerned before I began reading through all of the wonderful knowledge here on this forum:) I have been riding the Revel on 120mm iClouds and for my weight (175lbs) and how I ride, I seemed to be getting decent range and speed. I mostly ride on level 3, enjoy carving and varied terrain.

This is my first direct-drive esk8. I started thinking about Revel kit maintenance and I couldn’t seem to find any clear instructions on what exactly to do, how often to do it, and how to do it properly without breaking something or voiding warranty.

What sparked me to finally join the forum per pkasanda invite (much appreciated) was during the back and forth on youtube, when one of my batteries failed. When that happened I was only about 3mi or so into my ride and there was no vibration, it just shut down and I was only cruising. I flipped my board over and the blue power light was blinking. I though “that’s weird, it was fully charged and shouldn’t be low already” I swapped the battery out and kept riding and all was good. When I got home I put the battery that had died, on the charger and no red light. Just shipped it out to Revel yesterday and they are going to check it out.

I definitely hear you on the strain that the 120’s can cause on the motor/battery, but I was never aware of this until now and the confirmation on compatibility that I got from Revel was a major selling point. It’s personal preference, but I just love the feeling of riding on those wheels. I’m looking forward to trying the Discovery 105mm which sounds like a lot less burden on the kit. I’ll post some details from a couple rides on the 120’s. Please ignore the exagerrated top speed. Thanks guys!!

1 Like

Paul is awesome. We wish we could have someone like him in a knowledge base/appreciation/troubleshooting thread for every established vendor.

2 Likes

If we can work together to coordinate the 3D printing or ordering availability of a suitable motor adapter, maybe we could put together a group order for discovery wheels. @Hide from I-wonder is a friend of this forum. We might be able to get a bulk shipment at volume discount prices, shipped out to one address in the US (in a single carton). Then re-mailed to participants.

Let’s take a quick poll of US/Canada members of this thread who would be up for a bulk buy. Use the like button to indicate you are a likely participant. Once we know the number, we can ask @Hide to join this thread to see if we can work out a bulk pricing/shipping deal.

If you are outside Canada/US and you want to participate, see the next post.

4 Likes

Like this post if you are outside Canada/US and you want in on a potential bulk Buy of the Discovery wheels 105, etc sizes. Edit your Profile to enter your country and city in the location field.

3 Likes

@Hide

Would you be willing to send me a style file for anything that fits the new discovery cores. I have a friend who can transform it into a motor adapter for the Revel Kit direct drive motors.

Any Sty file that you could provide would be useful. Motor adapter or Wheel pully adapter.

If I looked on Thingverse for a motor adapter, is there something up there that would fit into a discovery core? or is the Discovery core just completely different from everything else?

I got a message from Flo that a abec clone adapter will be available within the next month or so.

1 Like

@revel_flo:

Are you planning on reselling the cloud wheels or just selling the adapter?

1 Like

As much as i support this one-off for selfish reasons, i wished that all vendors would stop pandering to the continuity of “clone” production. Keep to original standards! Clone sizings are unacceptable, they should be called manufacturing flaws

2 Likes