Revel at the "brand" new competitor in the direct drive Esk8 race!

Structurally, the gap presents no problems. It is actually less stress on the neck of the drive to have a gap instead of tight against the deck. When the drive is tight against the deck, it has to act as a brace for the deck. If the deck tries to flex, the drive stays straight and acts as a brace. This pehomenon can make a flexy deck like a dirvish become less flexible. The fix for that situation is a larger gap.

If your roads are relatively smooth, then a stiff deck like a tesseract may not flex enough to produce slapping, chattering and vibration. That would happen if the small gap between the drive and the deck were to open and close with rapid impacts between the two surfaces.

If the gap stays constant, you are golden. But if you get the chatter, then I would recommend increasing the gap. Others would recommend inserting more rubber or neoprene at the nose of the drive.

I’d suggest staying with 90mm at a minimum unless you’ll be riding mostly perfect streets.

1 Like

They’re definitely more responsive and in my opinion, feel cushier (blue 77a). I was running them on my kit for a little bit. I have better than average roads with minimal cracks and debris, but despite this, I still found my motors were still getting more knicked up than I wanted them. Going up little bumps onto curbs on a sidewalk can be sketchy. If you do it at the wrong angle, the motors will directly scrape on the bump very easily, in my experience at least. I changed over to the 90mm revel wheels. I find that it’s a happy medium between responsiveness/feel, and not having to stress about quickly damaging the motor caps.

1 Like

This is not good news for those of us who were excited about the discovery edition wheels.

Problem with Slick Revolution/iWonder Cloud Wheels (SERIOUS)?

To me, it looks like the core did not crack. Instead, the tire delaminated from the core.

That does it for me. I won’t even consider them now. I’m sure they won’t all fail but I can’t ride around on wheels that may or may not fall apart. I’ve spent alot of time putting together machines that are safe and stable at top speed. It would be nuts to substitute something so critical as wheels with what I see in the picture.

Edit

This is starting to look like it is either fake, Malicious or user error.

The pictures appeared on Redit. Hours later the User and the post are both deleted.

Also, the situation itself does not make any sense. The poster claimed he had two wheels fail this way. Once on his very first ride after 5 miles. And a second time after his replacement wheel arrived just 10 miles into his ride.

How does a core reach a high enough temperature to melt the adhesive that holds the core to the tire? How does that happen on such a short ride?

Overtightened belts?
Over tightened Bearings?
350 LB rider?

Or was this a malicious post by that guy who has a hate on for I-wonder?

1 Like

Yup, the guy said that it was a warm day and he assumes that the material just couldn’t handle it and melted to the point where the core basically slipped out.

For those too lazy to click the link

@xsynatic Looks like you reposted this. Where is the original link or thread?

Thanks. Hey I don’t have a redit account. Do you mind asking the guy how much he weighs. If he weighs 350 lbs then maybey that’s a factor. I’m not saying that excuses the outcome. I’m just curious of the degree to which this coudl happen to anyone.

1 Like

Will do

1 Like

Hi Angrypage,

Can confirm the Basalt Tesseract with the revel kit is awesome. Have tried it was 2WD and 4WD. No need for additional spacing. The deck is stiff but because of the Basalt it absorbs a ton of the vibration. I am a big fan of this setup.

1 Like

Hi pkasanda, thanks for the input.
I’ve been rocking the revel stock wheels, lazy rolling 97mm, torque board 100mm, bound motors 105mm and Iwonder 120mm and I’ve notice as strange as it might seem a lot less rolling resistance with Cloud Wheels.
I’m guessing because of the small contact patch and the incredible lightness of the CW compared to all the other wheels.
The worst range has always been with Rubber wheels from boundmotor and man those wheels are so heavy…
I’ve had the disconnection issue on all the different sizes of wheels I have so I know downsizing won’t fixed the problem but I understand were you’re coming from.
I clearly notice the added stress on the motor but I can’t get away from the +32mph top speed and the added comfort cruising at more than 26mph with the CW, also when on a speed run like your friend after 20 to 30 minutes about 90% of the time I get motor issues.
As for the range when the kit works flawlessly I get about 11 km of range on a speed run and around 20 km or more cruising on speed mode 2, the only issue is that 1 out of the 2 batteries will have 25% warning when the other is in the high 40% or 3 bars out of 5.
For added info on my range, I’m 155lbs with a 5to10lbs backpack.

I really appreciate the advice and information on everything pkasanda.

I’m now just waiting on revel support for any other solution.

In case you missed my edit/update concerning the pictures of the cloudwheels that melted… her it is again.

That post appears to me to have been either fake, Malicious or due to user error.

The pictures appeared on Redit. Hours later the User and the post are both deleted.

Also, the situation itself does not make any sense. The poster claimed he had two wheels fail this way. Once on his very first ride after 5 miles. And a second time after his replacement wheel arrived just 10 miles into his ride.

How does a core reach a high enough temperature to melt the adhesive that holds the core to the tire? How does that happen on such a short ride?

Overtightened belts?
Over tightened Bearings?
350 LB rider?

Or was this a malicious post by that guy who has a hate on for I-wonder?

Out of curiosity, Are you a Canadain customer? Quebec?

With 90mm wheels, 4WD and your light weight, I’m guessing you could get around 30 km of range on speed 2.

On the unbalanced batteries, I get that sometimes. Sometimes they deplete equally and sometimes one depletes faster than the other. That would be easy to solve by jumpering the two batteries together. I’ve done that for all of my 4WD Landwheels. Have not gotten around to it for my 4WD Kit.

I gave it a second thought and canceled my caguama order. I really want them but after looking at my first kit that only ran with 90mm and still got beat, I think you’re right.

And here’s my monthly prayer to hope we will get some dope looking wheel options in the 90mm - 100mm range soon. Come on loaded, esk8 will love you

Have you checked these out?

Or boas?

Yeah we had a wheel discussion a bit earlier and these came up as well. :slight_smile:

I ended up going with red 90mm senor pepe 78a for my tarab build. There just aren’t many colored options for 90mm.

Hoping that the clear blue flywheels come in 90mm at some point https://diyelectricskateboard.com/collections/longboard-wheels/products/83mm-epower-flywheels-clear-blue

@angrypage

I also own a set of Caguama’s and I tried them on my revel kit. As fun as it was (and I love those wheels) I don’t use them on my revel kit. there is just not enough clearance. 90mm or higher for sure.

I still use them on regular longboard and they are awesome.

1 Like

This guy does some pretty clean custom 90mm wheels.

https://instagram.com/hyperdyedwheels?igshid=1doga4vs9c8wo

2 Likes

I feel like with rough roads even 90s aren’t enough for me. I put some vinyl wrap on my motors and they’re already torn up after 2 rides. I already have some 105 Cloudwheels on the way but now I’m a bit concerned after seeing that post about them failing. Hopefully me being super light(110lbs) prevents that from happening.

1 Like