Restoring motors

How’s it going guys, im fairly new to this hobby but I’m loving it. Recently purchased a really nice used board and have been tinkering. I’m restoring the whole board and just finished sanding, priming and freshly painting the trucks, deck, gear drive, and rims. I degreased all the nuts and bolts and purchased locktight, fresh grease, new speed bearings and some other things before the installation begins. My question is in regards to the motor. I noticed that when I took the gear drive off, the motor holes had some grease in them and didn’t want to go in with a qtip or a toothpick because I was afraid of pushing it in further. I do want to repaint or clean up the motors but I’m scared of them and the battery that’s connected to it due to my lack of experience. The motors are still connected and are tape to the trucks before I put everything back on. The motors are 190KV Torque motors. Can anyone guide me to lessen the stress so I can properly sand, clean and paint the outside of the motor. I appreciate all the advice

2 Likes

Can we see pics of the progress and maybe of how scratched the motors are?

Taking motors apart isn’t too hard but you have to be careful!

1 Like

Ok I will take them now and post back within the next 5 minutes. Thanks

1 Like

3 Likes

check this thread

don’t use your pretty gear plate though, use your old pair of el cheapo mounts

3 Likes

Thank you. Looks pretty simple but I don’t have any brackets. I’m sure I can Jerry rig a way but i have one more question. Im not that fimiliar how batteries operate and I know my battery is big and can do harm. How would I disconnect the motor from the battery without causing any harm to both me and the unit. Cheers

Each motor has three wires (and maybe more small ones for sensors). Usually they are not soldered to the ESC but have connectors instead. You should be able to disconnect them from inside the enclosure.

2 Likes

You can use acetone to remove the paint of the motor bell…If you decide to open de motors, check the magnets and that everything it is in good shape…Read the threat about battleharden the motors…Be careful with the battery, not to create a short, use tape or shrink tube to avoid that…protect bullet conectors…I sugest you, if motors run well, just ride them and enjoy them…You can use aceton without disasambling the motor, and paint them with some nail polish the way you like…Buf if you decide to open anything, you should post pictures and ask, and do it with patience…Read, learn, ask…then…RIDE…

1 Like

So do I need to becareful? All I want to do is just pull the top piece off and clean out the gunk. I’d rather keep the motors connected to the ESC . I really have no clue what I’m doing and don’t want to blow my house up. It’s irritating cause I don’t want to just clean it half assd. I wanted to clean it, sand it and repaint the cover. Can anyone guide me along on how to remove it.

There is very little danger in just unplugging things, cleaning/painting/whatever, and then plugging them back in. As long as you don’t short the wires coming from the battery, e.g. with a screwdriver or something, you should be fine. You can probably take the ESCs out with the motors and leave the battery in place.

2 Likes

:point_up: :+1: