Reselling chinese boards in EU - warranty question

Can you guys help clarify what kind of warranty services I must offer if I am reselling Exway in EU? Must I offer free replacement items for 2 years? I noticed a board manufacturer offering only 6 months, is that a different situation?

Thanks

1 Like

It has nothing to do with the product or your feelings on the matter and more to do with each individual countries return, distance selling and refund policies.

Do some research. This is basic business and you really should know it inside out before you try and sell anything.

4 Likes

Depends on your country, but generally if you sell as a private person implement a disclaimer that you won’t offer service in any way you’re good. At least that’s how it is here in germany, so better do some research yourself.

3 Likes

I was under the impression all EU countries must abide by this?

Thanks to Europe (European directive 1999/44/EC), for any purchase in store or on the Internet from a professional seller, you benefit from a legal guarantee of conformity of at least 2 years, which allows you to ask the seller to repair or exchange the good, or if this proves impossible, the reimbursement of the sums paid.

Source: Guarantees and warranties

Can local country laws not follow this?

Nevermind! Just read a bit further down

Yes and no. Europe has set a principle: you benefit from a minimum 2-year guarantee for any purchase in store or on the Internet from a professional seller based in the EU. However, each country was then free to set conditions of application adapted to its pre-existing rules or ideology. Thus, the duration of the guarantee and the terms for invoking it can differ from one country to another.

Personally i think liability for damages caused by something like a battery fire would be more of worry -resellingy batteries in the EU, no way i would go near that …

2 Likes

Someone has to sell everything at some point. Going in armed with the right information and some trust in whatever you’re reselling is key. If you’re buying tat from Taobao/Alibaba and then looking to flip it for a profit you’re going to run into issues, 100%.

If you’re buying from a well reviewed brand with solid CS then it’s less risky and likely not very profitable. There’s better things to sell, you’d have to be pretty damn passionate to dive into a tiny market full of exploding products and high financial risk.

4 Likes

There is much more involved than only Guarantees and warranties.
Liability
CE
WEEE
Battery, UN38.3
When you bring products from ouside in EU into the EU they see you as manufacturer with all the things as manufacturer you have to follow.

Big task.

4 Likes

You should reach out to one of our established EU vendors here, Frederik probably knows some shit

1 Like

As klaus79856 wrote. It is not Just warranty. Therefore price must be higher:) board must have CE. Check this thema also here on forum, it was already discussed. As Iam remember correctly one of member of this forum was easily working with CE. For example You shoul translate user manual to language of country where You will sell it.

1 Like

Yeah and an actual CE mark, not “C E” which just stands for China Export and has caught out loads of inexperienced resellers.

I think “China export” is a folk tale, it’s really just some vague gesturing from manufacturers at a CE mark in the hope no one looks too closely or cares. But whether that’s right or not, the fact it’s not a valid CE mark is the same

This is less ambiguous than it might seem, I’m fairly certain the national difference is only in how much extra stuff they add on than take away. Consumers are guaranteed a baseline (very high) level of protection, and countries can add extra protections that put the burden on sellers but not on the consumer. If you want a whole speech on the different forms of EU secondary legislation and how directives work that’s a big can of worms, but that’s the short version above

Thanks for the replies guys, given me a lot to think about :slight_smile: