Reply to "Pictures and nothing else" thread

Maybe the trucks are bent in the picture. I feel like you could get better performance out of those lean trucks

2 Likes

beautiful setupā€¦

3 Likes

Or, this customer could avoid leaving this board next to the ocean to get hit by a wave. All electronics died, battery survived thanks to the enclosure design keeping all the water pooled in the electronic compartment.

Motors and wheels received all new bearings as well.

No

Ā 

7 Likes

If a board canā€™t survive an ocean wave, itā€™s not good enough

1 Like

I have with limited successā€¦ you can get a good fit, on a cambered deck, but they lack any substantial squish, and really require some additional sealantā€¦

1 Like

Okayā€¦ thatā€™s actually overstepping a bound.

90%+ boards canā€™t ride on even compacted shoreline sand.

https://freebordmfg.wixsite.com/so/35N2Mx77j/c?w=7yVykOI2AzxPAe-jULMsZOIpOONob68f4xtuw6wg_5Q.eyJ1IjoiaHR0cHM6Ly9yZWJyYW5kLmx5L0ZyZWVib3JkNSIsInIiOiI0NTU5MTM1My05YTEyLTQ1M2YtMmZlMy1jMzFhNjZhNzI2MjEiLCJtIjoibWFpbCIsImMiOiJiYjgwN2U4My03ZjZjLTRjZWUtOWMxMC1mM2ViMzJiNTFjMGYifQ

does this link work to show the secret?

apparently it does work

#sorrynotsorryFreebord

So, full ceramic bearings, titanium axle/hardware only, vapor deposition coating on all motors and exposed metals, positive pressure enclosure to eject high pressure water intake, plastic capped/sealed charging outlets

4 Likes

Donā€™t forget it also needs to float

2 Likes

this sounds like a really good idea, and do-able on a peli-case build

aviation folks do use titanium bearing races and they hold up. link removed, my bad, those are titanium nitride coated steel. the fatboy hangers use titanium axles. folks like @KfromtheBay already use titanium bolts and nuts because they purdy. i donā€™t know if applying PVD to motor parts makes sense when we can rebuild them with a ti shaft/bearings, and all other surfaces covered in epoxy/conformal

When I click that link, it shows the secret being the early bird price

1 Like

The PVD is for the stator and magnets, which you canā€™t make out of ti, because steel, but yeah, the more parts in Ti the better, and a pressurized enclosure is the only way to guarentee no water intake from a smashing wave

1 Like

instead of applying PVD to the stator and magnets, wouldnā€™t potting the whole stator (windings intact) in epoxy suffice? same can be said for the can, all the space between the magnets can be filled with epoxy, and a lathe can be use to precisely leave only enough epoxy on the surface of the magnets to prevent corrosion. statorade can be used to fill the airgap and as it does a great job of resisting displacement. just thinking out loud. the air injection port would have a check valve, we could recharge the peli-case in the field with a can of compressed air

use nitrogen, compressed air contains trace moisture

1 Like

sure, thereā€™s always someone on a group ride with cans of nitrous

1 Like

not nitrousā€¦ commonly known as nitrous oxide, pure nitrogen N2 ā€¦

If you guys are making the leap this farā€¦ to this ridiculous extent, use compressed N2

1 Like

epoxy would work too but possible crack from heat cycling could leave a tiny gap for salt water. Once that happens its all downhill. PVD + epoxy is safer.

For compressed gas, use CO2. comes in 12-16 gram cartridges, also fire suppressing.

I happen to have pure nitrogen for work, but I can only get it refilled in large tanks (nitrogen cannot turn into a liquid like CO2 under normal temps, so these tanks are filled to 3000+ PSI vs liquid CO2 at 800 psi room temp)

1 Like

Iā€™ve since changed my mindā€¦ compressed helium or argon would be much better for this wacky proposition

Also a tiny pressure gauge can be installed on the enclosure, with an alarm for loss of pressure (seal failure). And analog gauge for visual seal confirmation

2 Likes