šŸ–¼ Reply to ā€œPictures and nothing elseā€ thread 2023

I vote for fatter hubs on those boards. Imo the skinny ones look a bit meh. They offer probably better economy, but still. :smiley:

Yeah , this board was designed over a year ago when that wasnā€™t as popular of a trend .

4 Likes

Nice :smiley:

We will see. Got a PoastMote in the works.

3 Likes

I hope you like it! I donā€™t.

1 Like

what is this deck?

Tayto?

could be, i thought from the picture it has more kicktail/nose unfortunately. iā€™m looking for a board shaped like a regular skate deck, but wider and made for rkp trucks

1 Like

soā€¦bustin yoface?

1 Like

I solder those things, but you have to be extremely brief or the solder wicks up into the connector.

The crimp is nice for holding it together loosely while you solder it :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Facts, soldering crimps is the way to go.

ā€œBut a good crimpā€¦ā€

Nobody can get a perfect crimp. Anyone can get a decent solder.

2 Likes

It takes practice and experience. Plenty of people screw up soldering with cold joints.

IMO crimping is totally adequate for that connector type.

1 Like

You guys think I should add a little drop of solder to each JST-XH connector? I could try, but wow that is such a tiny spot to hit with the iron.

2 Likes

Only if youā€™re really good at soldering. Youā€™ve got to heat it up from the backside with the iron and just barely add the tiniest bit of solder at just the right moment, and for the briefest of moments.

Otherwise, buying precrimped JST leads is definitely my recommendation

7 Likes

Robots that assemble automobile parts can get perfect crimps all day long.

4 Likes

I still use precrimped leads ā€” unless itā€™s going to be in a skateboard. Then I solder them.

2 Likes

This harness is for my BMS. I hooked it up yesterday and all cells are reading the correct voltage. Iā€™m assuming you are recommending this to prevent connections from vibrating loose over time?

Yeah technically a perfect crimp is better than a perfect solder ā€” and I donā€™t disagree with that.

However, in practice, I can solder a shit ton better than I can crimp, and something about the liquid metal weld makes me feel cozy and trusting.

Those connectors are also so thin, that I question whether a perfect crimp is actually attainable with any tools. But IDK :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

If I use crimped ones, I use the precrimped leads made by robots, and not ones Iā€™ve crimped.

But thatā€™s just me.

I donā€™t have them with silicone-insulated wiresā€¦ yet?

2 Likes

Crimping is totally fine when you do it right.
Yours look good. I do a good pull test on the first couple as Iā€™m starting a harness. Its pretty easy to see with a visual inspection if youre getting good crimps.
Added bonus for adding silicon to the backside of the connectors

4 Likes