🖼 Reply to “Pictures and nothing else” thread 2023

It’s only just come out.

Yup, but that was likely happening anyway.

Eh it was first shown October last year, so it’s been a while. Long enough to have rebranded from Raldey to a new company at least.

1 Like

Well, sort of a a rebrand. ESKI was started by the son of the guy who owns Radley.

1 Like

Yeah, probably because Raldey’s reputation was tanking pretty hard for other reasons. It was and still is the only China option for a carver board though, and probably the first one to ever feature channels.

1 Like

My understanding is there are some issues with the board to include enclosure/water ingress. It does look really nice.

2 Likes

TBH I never really understood the appeal of a Trampa/Kaly style board. I had a chance to stand on one, and the insane camber was really unsettling and foot placement felt unnatural. Unfortunately it seems like that’s the shape everyone’s copying these days because it looks cooler.

2 Likes

I’d expect it looks a lot like this: Lacroix Jaws Battery Enclosure Disassembly! - YouTube

It’s basically the same inside as the Jaws 2.0 - 12s4p p42a and a stormcore. I would be curious to know if it’s vacuum formed ABS or injection molded nylon.

1 Like

I think for mountain boards it’s because that shape gives you shock absorbing suspension built into the deck - for jumping. If you look at the newer street Kaly’s they don’t have that same extreme camber.

There’s ways to build shock absorption in without compromising foot geometry though. Take MBS and Haero’s decks, they have camber as well, but only in the middle while they’re flat where the feet are supposed to go. The Trampa decks are really easy to press and make enclosures for I guess, since there’s no complex concave or other shapes to it.

4 Likes

The china brands (ownboard, meepo, exway, backfire, raldey, b-one) will likely eventually come out with something akin to a lacroix street cruiser.

With typical Chinese brands pricing it might cost 25-35% less than the Lacroix, but the ESC with be a hobbywing, the battery will be questionably made even if using good cells, and the fit and finish will generally be inferior. Maybe if they could knock the price down to $1k you could go after a different customer profile, but at current zeus and hurricane pricing, I don’t see the chinese brands competing against the new lacroix in any meaningful way.

that’s a good point - I hadn’t really considered the MBS decks.

working on a 12s8p build which comes in at about $600 cheaper to build.

All the prices are with shipping and taxes(only on the lacroix order) .

Flux at2 deck+ enclosure - $384
Stormcore 60d+ Hoyt Puck - $516
FS 6384 Motors - $327
MBS matrix trucks - $240
BN Motor Mounts - $136
MBS 72t pulley /BMS - $75
MBS rockstar hubs i have on hand - $0

Total - $1678

Add $500 for the 12s8p battery. About $2200 for the finished 12s8p build.

The barrel would cost me $2300USD shipped because of the $300 in taxes

Obviously goes without saying that you’re not getting the lacroix build quality and other intangibles building your own, but honestly very surprised to see the pricing on this board. I have a supersport and I’m tempted

2 Likes

Where are you getting a 12s8p P42A for $500?

And yeah… if you use a different deck, hubs are free, don’t buy 5x tires & tubes, use cheaper trucks. of course your build is less expensive lol. Apples oranges.

1 Like

18650batterystore $480 for x96 cells. Barely less expensive but the point is the bigger sized motors and battery you can get away with

:joy: yeah if you build your own battery. If you’re at the point of building a pack (and have all the tools and free nickel), then you also have half the parts laying around from unfinished builds or deals too good to pass up to hit that price point (and you value your time at $0).

That’s not who this board is marketed to. Nor who i built the shopping list for.

Your actual cost isn’t lower. Fudge your numbers all your want.

4 Likes

Or hardware. Or a charger…

1 Like

i mean it is, i’ve already worked out all the numbers to see if its even worth the time. Match the same motors and battery size and the build is ~$1300

charger is $45, other misc items are under $30.

i also don’t have any parts laying around and got no good deals as everything would be bought brand new. MBS hubs are from my lacroix which is only another like $60 to the build.

If you want to die on this hill, post your BOM. We can add in all the missing items and hourly rate costs. Shit adds up. :man_shrugging: Rule of esk8 - diy is not less expensive.

Edit:
To be clear, it sounds like a sweet build and i encourage you to build it! Flux is a great platform.

3 Likes

@sleepless @tech.shit I added the board to my cart earlier today and shipping was $65 to California. I came back tonight intending to check out and shipping had jumped to $189!!!

Freaking insane and I have no idea what Lacroix changed. So disappointed.

1 Like