šŸ–¼ Reply to ā€œPictures and nothing elseā€ thread 2023

Waitā€¦if the sun is behind him then how is his face being lit. :thinking::joy:

9 Likes

In my experience they work themselves loose over time. Constant vibrations are concentrated at the fixed point. This has happened to nearly every panel mounted board iā€™ve done.

If you can make it so the wires have absolutely no room to vibrate/flex/move coming up to the panel mount, you would likely negate this from happening.

I hate panel mounts :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve experienced more reliability from panel mounts personally. But I also do clamp the wires to the deck about ~4cm after the connector. So maybe that is a big factor? IDK.

4 Likes

1.575 inches

6 Likes

We have a new FUB bot!

For the 5% of people for whom this matters. :rofl:

(395337529/7948875387)

2 Likes

For sure. That would have a big impact

1 Like

ok but, whatā€™s the better alternative? grommets and glands?

panel mounts do look really niceā€¦

The term ā€˜betterā€™ is subjective to the operator.

Iā€™ve been running my phases out between enclosure and deck with EVA foam as a gasket and connecting to motors in line outside of the enclosure. Working for me so far.

3 Likes

ā€œBetterā€ to me means more reliable. Cost or hassle be damned.

Doing what Al said, for me, is a disaster because itā€™s nigh impossible to fully waterproof while still being servicable.

3 Likes

This setup had about 250kms on it when i opened. Not a speck of dust inside, but canā€™t speak for water.

very interesting, as I just printed up some MR60 panel mounts that I plan to use with Weipu SF8 6P connectors to have waterproofed, serviceable disconnects so I donā€™t have to stretch motor wires to work in the enclosure.

1 Like

The only instance of panel mounted connectors that have stood the test of time for one of my builds was on the kaly I built for a local dude

This build has probably well over 2000km on it by now with no issues at the panel mounts.

The 3d printed bracket things work really well, but theyā€™re definitely bulky. Plus theyā€™re not water proofed in any way. Iā€™d trust my foam gasket over this solution for waterproofness

Iā€™m just using the printed part for structure, once I use a heat gun to form them into the curves of my enclosure Iā€™m coating the entire backside of the connection and panel mount with RTV silicone. should be waterproof enough I hope.

Serviceability = 0 as soon as you smother something in silicone.

2 Likes

thatā€™s fine, if the time comes when I need to service an MR60 connector or hall sensor plug Iā€™ll just cut all the wires and solder on a whole new connector.

the silicone wonā€™t prevent me from servicing any other part, just the male side of the plugs.

Taking the enclosure off while the wires are connected to motors and shit is one of the most annoying and hassle-filled things ever.

But, aside from that, I have found that method to be severely lacking in the water resistance department for me.

1 Like

I have no problems separating the motors from the enclosure :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

For water you want butyl tape. Everything else is all competing for a very distant second place IMHO.

Until I find the next butyl tapeā€¦

1 Like

And when you need to service that side of the plugs, you will think of this day :+1:

1 Like

we donā€™t need automatic motor disengaging function :joy:

5 Likes