šŸ–¼ Reply to ā€œPictures and nothing elseā€ thread 2023

I was thinking the core would be made bigger, not smaller, so that the existing 10mm gap between the 22mm bearings remains. But Iā€™m not opposed to a pure 28mm bearing seat either :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

Hub design is so far from my fortĆ©, Iā€™ll leave it to the pros.

maybe like this

Brian is doing this with his new tubeless wheel and I think itā€™s a fantastic compromise. Unfortunately, a 28mm OD bearing seat interferes with kegel pins, so I donā€™t think itā€™s something Radium will implement.

6 Likes

this is the issue. @Tony_Stark should abandon the og kegel and go for the dadbod kegel pattern.

IMO, 8mm axles is a bigger sacrifice than using 10x22 bearings tho. would rather have bearings fail than axles.

edit: on second thought, there is no need to abandon the og kegel patternā€¦ the hub cores could accommodate 22 and 28mm bearings, as well as og and dadbod kegel pulleys

3 Likes

I think this is exactly what Orangatang was hoping would happen when they introduced this core

3 Likes

This is a big deal breaker if you want the most sales.
12mm axels running 120mm wheels is gonna be pretty niche.

1 Like

@PedroMcJimenez Seems like the flexibility of having any of the 3 axle choices is the selling point with the 28mm OD here.

Yes 12mm with 120mm wheels is probably a niche, but this makes 10mm axles a much more feasible option now.

As Pedro says. Its a really difficult decision because 28mm bearings is the proper thing to do but for the mass market they need to be 608 bearings and kegel core.

1 Like

@Tony_Stark What about using the removable core design that the Infinity Hubs had?

Best of both worlds. Tolerance issues can be solved with a metal bearing insert for 22mm bearings.

Have not seen it but something like that will add weight cost and potential manufacturing errors with more tolerances that need to line up

2 Likes

it had issues, i rather not

2 Likes

@frame That issue can be solved with precision machine work. Itā€™s a non issue if machined well. (By no means am I trying to criticize the infinity hub project. That design by nature can work.)

There are certainly ways to solve the issue, but solving it while keeping cost and complexity to a minimum is hard.

2 Likes

yes, its a if. and also userā€™s ability / skill. after seeing how some people behave on here, i doubt it will be trouble-free for Radium.

2 Likes

It is a fiddly solution which adds a few places for tolerance issues and wear.

Dude.
That box looks killer.
Super clean.

Is this something you can buy?
Or did you make it?

4 Likes

the groundwork has already been laid to just do it. itā€™s up to manufacturers of drivetrain adapters and pulleys to accommodate it.

I realize not everyone can get InfinityHubs but itā€™s a great example of what can be done.

1 Like

hahaha thank you i made it :wink:

2 Likes

Not seen another set of these for a while, mine have been going strong since 2019

1 Like