šŸ–¼ Reply to ā€œPictures and nothing elseā€ thread 2023

These are really sweet dude.

2 Likes

I need a truck system like this in EU!

Hey hey
Why lotr?

Whos getting married?

1 Like

Your username is Sharky. How can this not be a lotr reference, with your Avatar image.

Also - thank god Peter Jackson didnā€™t include that chapter in the movies. Bilbo destroys the one ring, and comes home to chase off silly Sauron terrorizing the shire with a citizens rebellionā€¦ SMDHā€¦ wat were you thinking JRR :rofl:

2 Likes

Any more pictures of the layup and result? Looks really nice.

On a side note, that battery could use some fish paper between the groups.

Like the design and layout :+1:

1 Like

Ah ok yeah got it youre rightā€‹:grimacing::ok_hand::ok_hand:

Tbh i really like the style of sauron think ill make a cosplay on it someday

5 Likes

Just thought ill name it like in the car industry when the chassie comes together with the motor and all the other stuffā€‹:sweat_smile::metal:

3 Likes

There is foam between the cells.

What do you what to know about?

Looks like Kapton and VHB?

foam is not fishpaper

3 Likes

pretty typical of china packs though

1 Like

Iā€™m more interested in the welder you usedā€¦ that nickel looks like it melted :flushed:

Yes Kapton and low density double sided tape foam I guess its EVA .

There ist not only nickel! Between to nickel strips is copper. The spot welder: JQ-DHJ02B

1 Like

Well I chose foam because I want vibration damping.

1 Like

Do you have any suggestion what to do better?

1 Like

There isnā€™t even actually foam between every different p group as youā€™ve arranged the battery such that every adjacent cell is a different p-group. Iā€™m actually completely confused by your battery layout in general though. It appears to be 10s2p, but the p groups are entirely spacially separated, and then the white wires run between the p groups?

Iā€™d start by putting all cells of the same p group directly next to each other. Then Iā€™d connect them, normally with hot glue or silicon, but the foam tape would probably be okay for that as well, then wrap them in fish paper. Also when doing balance leads Iā€™d try to cross them as little as possible and put fishpaper between them where crossing.

Other materials can help, but fish paper is very abrasion resistant. Iā€™d be worried about the VHB, or whatever the foam tape is, tearing under vibrations, then eventually the cells could rub together and short. Itā€™s not a guarantee any of that will happen, but I donā€™t see this as the best method.

What is more concerning to me is actually the number of extra wires and that they are not routed in such a way as to prevent them from chafing on each other. That layout is just bad IMO because as far as I can tell youā€™ve doubled the number of necessary wires by placing the p groups separated.

Again it may work fine, but there are things that certainly could be done better IMO.

1 Like

This is inviting the cells to vibrate relative to one another, which stresses the welds.

I posit that what you actually want between the cells [of different potential] is abrasion resistance, which foam isnā€™t the best for, and around the entire battery you want foam vibration damping. Inviting the cells to move relative to one another and stress the welds doesnā€™t seem like the best idea. Furthermore, foam and PVC are both easily abraded, and if the metal cell bodies touch, you will have severe problems.

2 Likes