🖼 Reply to “Pictures and nothing else” thread_2020_summer

I respectfully disagree.
While Wh are commonly used that number is only a very rough guide to how much range (running time) you might get. Unless all of the packs you are comparing use the same cells it’s not a great number to use.

For example…two packs with equal Wh specs, one made with Molicel P42A’s and the other with Panasonic NCR18650B’s, will give you hugely different run times. Even worse, at low power levels the Panasonic pack could run longer and at high power levels the Molicel pack will run longer.

But until everyone realizes this and stops using capacity and nominal Wh specs as their guide to how long a pack runs we’re stuck with those numbers. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Yes, Wh is not the ideal solution. That’s why the specific cell type is also included for everyone to look at.
Imo we can’t rate the batteries with your E-Scores because everyone uses his board differently and also all the different power levels aren’t available for every cell.
The average current we use usually isn’t that high. We just need the max power for acceleration pulls and steep uphill climbs. The average ride has a lot of coasting, breaking and stops too tho.

2 Likes

Yeah but if we assume the manufacturer chooses the right cell for the application I think Wh is still a convenient way to compare battery pack size.

I think both the cell and Wh should be mentioned :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Such a dangerous word :sleepy:

2 Likes

My dad always used to say to assume is to make an ass of u and me.

6 Likes

My uncle always used to say that assumptions were the mother of all fuck ups

6 Likes

Was your uncle in Under Seige 2 with our savior and GOAT martial artist Steven Segall?

I assume your uncle was also Australian. You antipodeans have always had such a grasp of the Queen’s… true cunning linguists :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

My apologies…I definitely wasn’t thinking that my E-Scores should be used, only that the nominal Wh rating isn’t nearly as useful as so many feel.

Excellent!

I agree, it can still be used. But assuming the pack manufacturer has chosen a good cell is not advisable IMO. I’ve seen too many bad packs. :slightly_smiling_face:

IMO the nominal Wh spec is just relied upon too much (along with nominal capacity) when comparing packs with different or unknown cells.

3 Likes

Agreed on the nominal watt hour not telling the full story. I’ve been trying to decide on a cell and yeah, turns out it’s pretty complicated…

Watt hour changes dramatically with load, and higher nominal capacity cells like the 50E actually provide less energy than a lower nominal capacity high discharge cell like the P42A at just 15A. If you were pushing a board hard, say hilly roads at 35mph with a 12s3p, a 50E pack would have less range than a P42A pack. However, riding easy with a 12s8p and the 50E doesn’t look as bad. This doesn’t even factor in all the temperature and life cycle impacts of running these cells at high amps

Watt Hour (Wh) to Voltage Cutoff at different amp draws

3A to 3.0v* 10A to 3.0v 15A to 3.0v 20A to 3.0v 30A to 3.0v
30Q 9.8 9.0 8.5 6.9 N/A
50E 16.4 14.5 12.2 9.0 N/A
P42A 14.1 13.4 13.0 12.6 10.7
48x 15.8 14.7 14.0 11.0 7.6
50G 16.4 15.4 14.7 10.1 (est) 8 (est)
50S/T50 16.8 15.7 15.0 14.2 12 (est)

Too bad all the better performing cells than P42A are unobtainium…

1 Like

thanks for having me.

One question i have asked others is how well your fog-blocking thing works?

The line marks the tip of my nose

these mark where my lips are

so it doesn’t block the air from going up the visor. Any tips?

Removing that is the first thing I did when I got my tsg

1 Like

But how do you stop it from fogging up?

Don’t breathe

Serious answer, mine doesn’t fog up much at all.

4 Likes

I used anti-fog spray when I had mine, but then I started buying better helmets.

Mine doesn’t fog up whilst riding. Only when stopped so I just open a small crack for a bit and it clears up fast🤷

1 Like

Jan, you give me nerd-boners on the regular. Just thought you should know.

I <3 custom dev tools.

2 Likes

shots fired. Watchu got?

@DerelictRobot Lord of the dongs, what helmet are you using?

E: still

?

1 Like

I’m guessing you’re one of those people that thinks motocross helmets are the end all be all I personally think they look dumb when used for esk8

5 Likes

This is a very, very, very steep assumption.

Exhibit A: Evolve

1 Like