šŸ–¼ Reply to ā€œPictures and nothing elseā€ thread_2020_summer

Youā€™re absolutely right, my dude. Peli-cases/equivalent are the most sensible and practical choice of eMTB enclosure. No contest - and thatā€™s the problem - thereā€™s no contest.

A lot of us really go balls-out on the craftsmanship and aesthetics of our builds. Lacroix, 3DS, Sender, Radium etcā€¦ all making a tidy penny from it. Like I say, with the exception of Apex, Iā€™m not aware of any activity in the pursuit of beautiful eMTB enclosures. Alex seems to be saying that Lacroix will be looking at that next year though, so thereā€™s that.

Not to bash your build, Benjamin. Itā€™s all quality componentry. I mean, it looks like youā€™re heading off on a weekā€™s holiday or something, but youā€™re clearly buying up the good stuff and I sympathise with your position. Understand me, I just want you to be able to hold your head up with pride when you ride the thing :wink:

6 Likes

Yes! The Oakley Strongbox! Now thereā€™s a viable alternative.

Strength to your arm on the custom enclosure, Brian! Excited to see what you come up with! :muscle:

3 Likes

12s10p Tesla Model 3 cells, plus ESC and all electronics in the box, does not make for a small enclosure :joy:

I fully agree with you Chris, we need more options and competition in this market. I just worry that too many will go the Trama way and prioritize looks over function. At least pelican cases will always be there for us haha. I look forward to the innovations to come though :slight_smile:

1 Like

One problem with pelicases is that they are very heavy. A carbon or fiberglass alternative would weigh half as much

4 Likes

@BenjaminF I have the same issue with my new build. I started this thread in the 3D Printing Request area.

Woah hold your horses

8 Likes

Wow that battery case looks awesome, would you mind sharing the files for the 3d print?

3 Likes

Oh!? Dā€™ya know, it hadnā€™t occurred to me for one moment that Trampa had prioritised looks over function. :joy:

@PixelatedPolyeurthan, dude, I would personally bear that enclosure on my deck most proudly. Itā€™s an accomplished feat of engineering and the result is seriously impressive. Iā€™m prepared to accept that despite my finely polished and well-turned-out appearance, Iā€™m not the ultimate arbiter of what is and what is not beautiful - but it is not beautiful.

2 Likes

No way that wasnā€™t on purpose lol

3 Likes

He looked like a verrrry friendly guy.

2 Likes
3 Likes

12S17P, 50G cells, 3600Wh, 83Ah for trampa board, 4x4

6 Likes

Damn talk about a ranger

Here it is in action:

Itā€™s made so that everything fits together without glueing. Only two pairs of bolts and nuts are required.

Edit: Uploaded to Thingiverse:

31 Likes

Thatā€™s genius!

7 Likes

So cool! Also can probably turn it on with your foot if youā€™re lazy :smiley:

9 Likes

Iā€™ve always wanted an esk8 that I can kick-start like a dirt bike :joy:

8 Likes

Thought about doing this, but worried that the key could just ā€œrestā€ in the socket accidentally and close the circuit (only just). Valid concern?

1 Like

Sure, itā€™s a valid concern. I have considered it.

It wonā€™t happen while the board is resting.

It may happen when youā€™re moving the board. If youā€™re moving it by hand, thatā€™s not really a concern since youā€™re holding it and youā€™re in control.

If youā€™re moving it in your boot, for example, thatā€™s a little concern. Still, even if it gets accidentally turned on, no major disaster will happen as long as your remote is off.

I personally almost never carry my board in my car. If I were to do it, I would probably print a simple part that locks the switch in the open position, which is simple and solves the problem.

1 Like

Seems like a little spring-loaded mechanical unlock button could do wonders for that

3 Likes