šŸ–¼ Reply to ā€œPictures and nothing elseā€ thread_2020_summer

No but Iā€™m imagining a belt thats a foot wide

1 Like

BEEFY. Whatā€™s the story here? Intrigued.

2 Likes

I had a local supplier that could cut in any width you want

How I know that? Because the guy that was cutting must have been blind and missing an arm and a few fingers on the one that remained while using a kids scissor, a 15mm belt was 17mm in some places, 9 in other and sĆ³ on

You could run two 9mm belts in parallel or even 15+9 or even 15+15

2 Likes

How do you (or anyone here) keep the cables bent like this while soldering them to the tabs?

2 Likes

You donā€™t need to see the photo now lol. Supplier must have forgot to cut them when he ordered 10 or somethingā€¦

1 Like

Those sold on 2019 July 07

2 Likes

Those wouldā€™ve made a pretty nice armband

Iā€™ve found out since then that a leather lace cutter works perfect for slicing those.

Want to know as well.

1 Like

I hold them gently with large hemostats that arenā€™t locked. Just using them as tiny pliers.

1 Like

Somebody say chain gang?

9 Likes

What size chains are those? Do you like them? Are they noisy?

Do they work well at high speeds?

From where did you purchase the sprockets?

25h, this is my backup board, so it doesnā€™t get much use now. But I trust those chains with my life.
You can lock up the rear end and slide with chains.

They make noise. But arenā€™t crazy.
I hit 42mph with that setup.
I got the sprockets on ebay and drilled them myself.

2 Likes

I do that with belts :rofl:

Maybe thatā€™s why they are breaking.

They usually snap under forward acceleration though, up a very specific incline that I skate a lot. That doesnā€™t mean they werenā€™t weakened ahead of time though.

2 Likes

Gears?

1 Like

ā€‹

1 Like

@b264 sounds like AA for esk8. Hi Iā€™m Brian, and I break belts. I know itā€™s wrong but I donā€™t know how to stop. Hi Brianā€¦

8 Likes

But itā€™s so right

6 Likes

I tried keeping it bent with my fingers once for a loopkey, couldnā€™t stand the heat. The wire whipped back in position and threw some hot solder on my tummy :joy:

4 Likes

They are copper, and copper will hold its shape if you bend it :man_shrugging:

I usually have to over-bend the cable, so not just into a U shape but into a full loop. Then it will be deformed enough to stay in a U shape

But I dont just let the cable sit there while soldering. What I do is:

• I line the wire up over my prepped solder pad with my left hand,
  • press the wire down with the soldering iron in my right hand,
  • grab the solder spool with my left hand while the wire is pinned by the iron,
  • flood with solder,
  • press it all together with the soldering iron until it flows nicely,
  • then using a snap knife in my left hand to press and hold the wire exactly where I want it in the solder puddle until it solidifies.
  • Finish by dabbing with a damp sponge to cool off the nickel quicker and reduce the amount of heat that is allowed to penetrate into the cells.

At all points in the process something in my left hand or right hand is holding the wire exactly in place, until the solder solidifies.

I hope that over-answered your question!

6 Likes