🖼 Reply to “Pictures and nothing else” thread_2020_summer

Kind of like King Arthur, the once and future king

2 Likes

@Janpom any update ? I’ve pushed the trigger too (sculpfun s9) now I need to wait forever for it to arrive.
Did you succesfully cut cool stuff ?

1 Like

Yes, I’m actually already using it for etching the DAVEGA housings. I managed to get rid of the zig-zag by disabling the bi-directional scan. I’ve also done a few other tweaks. It needed some dialing in but now the results I’m getting are as good as (maybe even slightly better than) what I got on a CO2 laser. The only downside is the etching takes much longer. (~30 secs on CO2 vs ~3 mins on diode laser.)

Cutting thin wood also works. I made a house for our guinea pigs from 3mm MDF. :slight_smile:

Here are some examples of etching aluminum:

5 Likes

My experience with laser cut was something like 7 year ago and we had only CO2 machines, didn’t knew there was a speed difference, but makes sens.
The hamster house is super cute ^^
Have you tryed cutter different materials than the regular ones ? I’ve heard you you can even imprint glass,
What about thin metal shims ?

The speed difference is due to power difference. The diode laser has much less power than CO2 so you need to run it slower to achieve the same result as on CO2.

I haven’t tested glass or metal, sorry. Cutting metal is very unlikely to work. A very thin alu pad came with the laser. I’ve been using it to protect the table when cutting wood or paper. The laser barely left any marks on the metal. There’s no way it’s going through.

3 Likes

Sorry about the box, it was a big order and that’s all we had to hand! I try and reuse all the packaging we get if possible. Glad to see it made it there safe and sound

5 Likes

Hey, don’t worry about the box. It’s all good :muscle:

1 Like

https://images.app.goo.gl/K1sndCbJrCQ89cWh7

1 Like

Whoa…that is going to be a long board. :crazy_face:

7 Likes

Do you think it’d be possible to do 3mm Baltic Birch plywood with your set-up? Cutting that is, not just engraving.

Wow, makes me wanna finish one of my 3 builds now with some of those sweet looks parts!! Nice work!

Edit, sorry Mooch I saw the blue icon and thought it was Phil @Savage1

2 Likes

Just set your destination here, I’ll buy you a Welcome to Portland Steak.

7 Likes

Dude that would be sick! Thanks!

8 Likes

hahaha-no

7 Likes

Someone just talked themselves out of a free steak.

6 Likes

Oh Bill, when you’re at the Acropolis nothing is free.

3 Likes

$0.25 per ice cube is fair when Unicorn-Dildo Ring Toss comes gratis minus rack dues.

1 Like

@Kai While I dig the graphics, it’s an odd tribute since Hosoi is a devout outspoken Christian (legit no pun intended)

2 Likes

coincidentally, so is the guy that made my now pentagrammed coffin board lol
imma need some holy damage resistance equipment xD

2 Likes

I think it will work but will require multiple passes at very slow speed.

1 Like