Replacing caps on Flipsky 6.6

Alrighty, so I am trying to resurrect my Flipsky 6.6. It was having cutout and overcurrent issues. I traced it down to capacitors that had come loose.

I am trying to find some replacement capacitors for it, and to be honest know next to nothing about them.

Would these be a suitable replacement?

3 Likes

Those are probably fine, but I would probably avoid no name amazon resellers.

2 Likes

Get some name brand ones like these:
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/nichicon/UVZ2A471MHD/589120

4 Likes

Is this the same flipsky you got from me like 2 years ago? :exploding_head:

3 Likes

Possibly. :wink:

2 Likes

Ahh
 @Simeon was faster. :slightly_smiling_face:

The basic specs match (there are other specs though, which might be important) but you’re replacing caps that are at least being used in products with caps that we know nothing about. They might work or they might give out quickly or be badly overrated.

Buy decent caps (the ones he linked should work) and install them so they can’t vibrate or be bounced around.

4 Likes

I took pics of the battery and cables after I took the old battery apart. It is a work of art

1 Like

Aaaaaaai, these big flipsky I have had really good luck with. That particular 6.6 may be the very first controller I have ever used in esk8

4 Likes

Got it, thanks!

1 Like

Bahahahahah! Omg burn those pics!!!

2 Likes

Yah. I’m going to be testing it in a moped first so of they give out i am not in a bunch of trouble

I don’t think they’ll fail quickly. Those Amazon ones however could potentially fail earlier than good caps, some time down the road. That would expose your ESC to voltage spikes and can lead to unpredictable behavior or ESC failure.

Always good to do a initial test with as safe a setup as you can though. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Caps have been successfully installed. Whatever solder flipsky used was a pain in the ass to get off. It just didn’t want to melt.

In other news, black rubber sealant isn’t actually black.

3 Likes

It might have separated. You’ll need to carefully mix the contents.

1 Like

I thought that too. Squeezed out the whole tube and let it dry. It feels how it should, just without the black. I wonder if they forgot to add pigment or something.

1 Like

That is sooo weird.

1 Like

Especially for a company like Permatex.

1 Like