Repair Hoyt St Receiver

Hey everybody,

I just wanted to do some pre-ride maintenance before my first ride in several years (after the cops confiscated my board and were to stupid to turn it on so I got it back without any issues) and during that the wires connected to the hoyt st receiver broke off directly on the receiver pcb.

I think some genius decided that the best connector to use is a male JST connector soldered directly to the board?

Is there a community fix, or would I have to redo the entire soldering of those wires etc?

pic would be helpful to understand what u trying to do / fix

3 Likes

Sounds like you don’t have a really nice soldering iron yet.
Could I maybe sell you
Pinecil USB C PD Soldering Iron gets it’s own thread.

Cant remove the metal wire holder thingies you crimp on because i think they are what is soldered on so no easy way to replace the wires

You can get the end of those wires out very easily if you have a steady hand. Just need to lift up the little plastic tab and then the wire ends will slide right out.

The bit I circled is the little tab. Don’t use too much force or else you risk breaking it off and then you will have to solder the leads to the pcb directly, or get a replacement connector and solder that on.

1 Like

How did it break? Did they open your board up? :hushed:

2 Likes

not clear if board is DIY, but if it was then is easy to not secure that wiring.
Leading one of the wires to break off there, others appear cut to prep for repair. (if I were to change the puck rx I would add a hole/zip tie spot for the wires)
example

I’ve tried this and it doesn’t work. I believe each pin is soldered directly onto the board and the connector housing is more there for protection and strain relief.

2 Likes

Yup unfortunately you are entirely correct

The board is diy, built around 3 years ago, tb dd with unity and a 12s4p 40t, police caught me, confiscated the board but because diy and because i have no on/off button, just the smart start feature of the unity, they couldnt figure out how to turn it on so no charges, but im prettybsure they “stored” it outside in a car lot because of li ion and vengeance or whatever

I didnt really touch the board for two years now because of that and in the meantime some stuff had gotten loose/dry rotted because i was getting intermittent cutouts of the controller or something so during inspection i broke the cable

3 Likes

broo what. I would’ve expected them to call you over to start the thing for them.

1 Like

I have done it for both of the motor sensors on my board since the connector piece was too big to fit through the gasket piece i wanted to use. You have to lift that pin up and pull the wire out at the same time. It helps to have a light + magnifying lens piece so you can see what you’re doing.

Idk how laws work over there but in the US they couldn’t make you do shit. Would be being forced to testify against yourself

1 Like

These are not JST-PH connectors. You cannot lift the tab and pull the wire out because the contact on each wire is soldered through the board.

JST makes many many types of connector, and not all of them work the same. This connector is a board-in connector which is not disconnectable after installation. I believe it is a JST-SJN, but I’m not certain.

5 Likes

If it is, then @sioux612 just have to desolder the pins on the other side of the board, and solder regular wires in place of it
maybe you could show a picture of the underside of the pcb ?

2 Likes

My lawyer did have plans in case they asked for a demonstration. Either show it does not turn on, or show them where to install an on/off button, or turn it on without them noticing and then applying a profile that turn the board into a brick, or…

In the end it took several weeks but I got the board back without further questions and in the report they wrote they changed it from electric longboard/vehicle to something like “sports toy”, just like any longboard. They had to go with what I told them during the stop - “those are weights, used just for keeping momentum, but if I could turn it on it could also brake”

@ApproachCautiously unfortunately no. I’ve worked with JST connectors a lot as well, and was elated when I saw that it would be that easy, but the crimp thingies I tried to pull out (thats why the one on the right looks so mangled) is whats soldered.

@Plurf don’t have a pic handy, but its just your typical solder through pin things. I’m not great with soldering but might just give it a try. Its not like I can break it more than it is right now.

1 Like

You could chop the whole connector off, solder new wires to the PCB, and put a dab of hot glue on them so they don’t break just past the solder point.

3 Likes

Make sure you do the best solder job and strain relief as much as possible…

1 Like

If I manage to actually solder it all then that is my plan, I’ll update you guys on how thing went.

1 Like

where’re you at ? maybe there’s someone close by that can help with the soldering

1 Like

Germany

1 Like