Removing grip tape residue

I have a spare deck and tried to remove the grip tape. It left a sticky residue, how do I get rid of that?

1 Like

Most adhesive removers will work but you want to be careful as some products can damage the finish on the deck.

4 Likes

WD-40, or Goo Gone, some solvents work also but thinner/acetone will remove the clearcoat/paint underneath.

6 Likes

I used rubbing alcohol but it was crap!

2 Likes

Even with the proper remover the process is filled with profanities! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::poop:
Best to grab a beer or three and hunker down

1 Like

I love beer and swearing, just hope removing it doesn’t take that love away!

2 Likes

On the contrary, it makes you one with beer and swearing and make you realize it’s a productive combo for certain life activities.

1 Like

This is by far the best method i have found. Still requires some elbow grease though!

3 Likes

Gasoline, carb cleaner, brake clean, acetone, steam, nail polish remover, and all the mentions above. And if you are planning on skinning or fritting, don’t worry about the existing finishes, you want that off for better adhesion anyway.

2 Likes

Peanut butter.

1 Like

Try putting the deck in the fire and ordering a new one sans grip. Guaranteed to work and be less messy too!

2 Likes

Hilarious thanks for your help. That’s the best idea so far so I will go with yours.

1 Like