Reinventing the wheel

It wouldn’t make it handle the same due to weight.

1 Like

A reason to use wider tyres is that if all other factors are optimised, there will be more volume of rubber without using a taller wheel that has more rotational inefficiency. If the sidewalls and rubber compound are set right (unlike the xcell rs tyres) you could increase performance as well as life expectancy since there would be more rubber fibres sharing the stress of friction. As with all things there is a tolerable range, but in general I think we are at the low end of it. This would also mean running lower air pressures than we are used to, which could keep the tyres light and cheap.

Another thing to think about is that esk8 has extremely low suspension going on in the bushings/deck, so tyres need to do all the work. Ultra low profile tyres (typical 6 inch) or super stiff sidewalls present an issue in this regard. That effects comfort and performance. Ultimately race setup and daily driver setup will be more similar than you think, just as cars and other vehicles are.

Edit: the best tyre for esk8 right now would benefit both sides of the coin. Comfy tyres will offer greater suspension, more grip and a more forgiving slip angle threshold. Going wider rather than taller just means we can make them last longer.

2 Likes

and cut down range :sweat_smile:

1 Like

more people need to realize this. especially those creating “racing” esk8 components. a practical commuter can take advantage of the same things as a racer even though the setting is different.

2 Likes

Can you elaborate on that? I’ve never tried them but the FB groups go crazy for them.

2 Likes

From my experience, they’re incredibly grippy due to the wide contact patch, near slick tread pattern, and super soft compound (it actually feels tacky to the touch after riding hard and warming them up). However, the sidewalls are damn near rock solid, to the point you can actually air them down to zero and they still work okay. It’s great for that super locked in and responsive feel, with a LOT less of that “slop” feel i was getting with 200x50 tires, but the ride comfort is definitely worse. Also, they wear really quickly. That being said, i still have three sets because i like them so much despite the few downsides.

TLDR: Xcell makes for great racing tires, but the comfort is lacking and the sidewall is probably stiffer than it needs to be.

3 Likes

Yeah probably, pneumatics can always be made harder to get more range too I guess. That’s what I do with my 6x2s.

1 Like

The xcell tyres are far too hard for the shape they are. The fact you can run them without air points it out, It’s so hard it doesn’t deform properly under load.

1 Like

In comparison to huge wheel chair tyres, yeah. They aren’t the grippiest setup though, not even close.

1 Like

They’re the grippiest that i’ve tried (Evolve 6 inch, Evolve 7 inch, generic amazon 200x50, Qind 200x75). shrug

I do suspect they could do with a softer sidewall, but otherwise i’m actually fine with them. The contact patch isn’t horribly stiff and does actually show some deformation under loading (admittedly this is countered by the super stiff sidewalls holding everything else fixed to the point the tiny amount of deformation in the center is almost never felt), so it seems like a relatively simple revision would help them a lot.

1 Like

Mr Hoover just needs to get the compound and TPI right. the deformation in the centre, is that what you mean? I noticed that too, also not a good thing. The hard sides is the problem, tyres need to fold and mold into the asphalt to increase friction. When I was riding the xcells on my rims, I switched to the mini Evo rims with 6x2s and got around 5-8km/h more corner speed. Trying out meepos tyres now though

1 Like

When beadlock?

What?

You think the compound could improve? I thought it was fine personally, it’s just that ultra thick reinforced sidewall to me. Yeah, they wear quick, but for what they are i’m fine with it - unless there’s a grippier compound that wears slower haha.

Softer compound would deform more - I’m not sure what the solution would be for those tyres, but there are a few options

I dont think they could go much softer on the compound, it’s already pretty soft and any more would mean they’d wear out insanely quick. The issue with the sidewall stiffness isn’t the rubber compound, it’s whatever they’ve done inside it to reinforce it, and the physical thickness of the sidewall. Could easily make them softer without changing the compound.

1 Like

Have you got the same tyres? My xcells were insanely hard, and I’ve seen people get over 1000km of hard riding with tread on them.

Anyway, rubber compound effects sidewall stiffness :slightly_smiling_face: regardless yes the ideal setup is harder compound with good overall deformity across the carcass. That’s what the 6x2 are, just need a bigger version.