Reducing weight in ESK8

Sorry, no. As I mentioned I don’t have any recommendations, just the memory of the paper that ran the math.

You definitely need to use a very good (high energy density) pouch cell though. The “everyday” China cells aren’t going to work out…as you calculated. :slightly_smiling_face:

You also have to factor in how much more Ah can fit into an enclosure if using pouch cells of the right size. Round cells have dead air spaces around them and there are empty spaces in an enclosure that need to be factored in.

We can compare W/kg or W/L (or other volume) and would need to have numbers for both. I was referring only to Wh/L (volumetric efficiency) but I realize that weight (gravimetric efficiency) is an issue too.

I should add that I am totally open to being wrong now as I read that article in 2021 IIRC and the energy density of round cells has gone up considerably since then. In hindsight I should have considered that more before my post.

Still thinking that inter-cell and enclosure air spaces for round cells add up to a lot more than we think though, making a great pouch cell a good idea. No time to dive deep into this, would love to. :pensive:

2 Likes

Thanks for the mildly tangential negative leaning logic sandwich. I understand where you are coming from but I wanted this thread to be more of a brain storm to see if others had ideas on possible weight saving solutions.

You are probably right. I have noticed Reacher motors can take more amps than Flipsky motors. I have a set of 6455 Reacher motors I put 70amps into and had no issues. It did make the board feel lighter when I was moving it around manually. and pretty nimble while riding. Maybe a 6455 motor that can take 100 amps is possible? That would save a chunk of weight. As long as the downsides are not too great, maybe this is feasible.

1 Like

That’s a good point. It’s not exactly apples to apples comparing the best cylindrical cell around to some rando pouch cell that google picked to be first.

If anyone here has info on a high energy density + high discharge pouch cell, let us know!

1 Like

Does system voltage have any effect on weight?

It changing the amount of copper you need for wiring. But does that translate to motor weight at all?

That’s an interesting question!
Most motor cans are as packed as possible so there might be a few grams difference (iron to copper to unused space ratios) but for the same can size I suspect very little weight difference.

Not sure how (typical) can sizes might change as voltage goes up though.

What about different motor architectures?

There’s been discussion on the forum before on axial flux motors, but I’m not sure that’s happened in the context of weight conservation.

2 Likes

fuck it, pmsm motor let’s gooooo. 2024 is the year we drop bldc in favor of pmsm :rofl: then vedder needs to rewrite the whole damn vesc motor detection process

Huh? I thought I was engaging directly with the topic of the thread, I dont understand the hostility. I had no intention of offending you. I’ll just stay out of this thread and leave you to it.

2 Likes

Tell us more. A lighter motor?

did somebody say something about whips and chains?

1 Like

Sorry, I was just teasing you. Stick around, just incase the lightweight ideas make my brain float away, you can keep me grounded.

3 Likes

Well, IDK much about them.

I just remember there was discussion about them in the past. Probably on the old Esk8builders.

Surprisingly little information actually.
But Engineering Explained proves to be a reliable source if insight yet again.

Also found this site.

More real motor data that means little to me, but I can pretend using all the sliders.

3 Likes

okay this website is really fun to play with

4 Likes