Reducing weight in ESK8

To be clear on this, Li-ion packs usually have higher energy density than li-po and can contain up to double the wh/kg. This is why almost all bigger EV use li-ion cells.

Li-po’s are usually more POWER dense, meaning you can get more instantaneous W/kg. But this is not Wh/kg.

10 Likes

Bloody hell. So you’d probably need inrunners mounted under the deck (at the expense of battery capacity) with the cables criss-crossing out to the opposite wheels. But surely those cables will restrict the truck’s dynamics more than a set of mounted motors would? …or am I looking at this all wrong?

How much torque per length can those cables handle anyway?

1 Like

@NoWind you ever consider CV joints or U joints in your wild builds?

4 Likes

Ok, I shat the bed with that info. Will be more careful next time. Also edited post accordingly. :melting_face:

My point was there is no point of sacrificing weight on deck for the regular board as that is the part of the board that people build around it and choose based on their preferences, also wooden decks don’t weigh much on grand scheme of thing. But good point, there is plenty of room for optimization by choosing similar design deck made out of lighter materials.

3 Likes

My way of weight reduction is reducing my own weight rather than focusing on the board. Its easier too.

3 Likes

I wish it was that easy, but some of us are already wraiths and can’t afford to lose body weight so we have to focus on gear weighing less

4 Likes

Sleepless’ post is a really good one Sprung vs unsprung weight is important. Strategic weight reduction that can help everyone regardless of how heavy you are.

4 Likes

Push every now and then ? :man_shrugging:

damn I wish I could push 45km/h without dying

Yo thought about, but never build something with

3 Likes

I just can here to say the same.

I made a Samsung 40t 12s10p pack for high current use to maybe replace the lipos I use.

It was unreasonably heavy, used it for a week and gave it to someone.

I was under the impression LiPo batteries had a strictly worse Wh/Kg than Li-Ion?

Go Team W/kg!!!

2 Likes

My use case is for power packs. All the Amps Right damn now for only 5-10 miles. Li-ion sucks for the weight I’m used to and power I like to use.

I too like all the amps right now, but at the same time I like to go for a reasonable distance.

This conversation gas been making me lean more towards LiPo than I ever have before, you think I could get better energy density with them? as in, more longevity at the same amp loads, or more amps with the same longevity for the space available?

1 Like

Looking at some specific power/specific energy plots with generalized chemistry’s.

They all trend with lipo characteristics below li-ion.

I’m confused. I should probably do some reading.

Based on what’s available to buy commercially right now, what’s reasonably priced and in stock, 15-10ah packs from reputable lipo brands are light weight and generally meet the watt demands of bigger boards.

I don’t know anymore than that.

4 Likes

Your post above this one answers your question…:slightly_smiling_face:
LiPo li-ion cells typically have a lower energy density than “standard” chemistry li-ion cells. This means shorter run times for the same weight.

LiPo can be better for more current for the same space/weight though due to the (typically) lower internal resistance of the cells. All depends on the particular cells chosen though, of course. Only talking generally here.

1 Like

So much depends on how old those charts are but…

LiPo li-ion cells can have incredibly low internal resistance vs “standard” li-ion chemistry round cells and that decreases the voltage sag at high power levels

That allows for running the LiPo cells harder, at higher power levels, before the low voltage cutoff is reached. Technically perhaps the power density isn’t as great as we think for LiPo’s but the practical advantage of that lower internal resistance means we can often run good LiPo cells harder.

So many things all at work at once, crazy to all sort out if someone just wants to know what to buy. :slightly_smiling_face:

I guess, in the end, forget about theoretical density and just look at the specs for the cells you are considering using. Their weight, size, performance, and price will guide you to the that is best for your application.

5 Likes

Lets do a Cubic Centimeter per Watt hr. Comparison
Lipo Pack.
16ah @ 14.8v (4s) = 236.8Wh
4.4x7.3x17.9cm=574.95ccm (pack area)
Thats .41Wh per ccm

Question is, With the cylindrical cell and the area loss between each cell how much watt hr per ccm is there when you stack a 236.8Wh pack for Wh per ccm area comparison.

1.36kg for the weight comparison

Somebody please do the Cell pack Math so we can compare energy density per real area used.

4 Likes

8 - 16 km

4 Likes