Red Arrow DIY build / Dual setup 83mm & 6inch / Racestar 5065 200kv / Mbs ATS truck

Hi,

Let me introduce you to my last build the “Red Arrow” : a DIY build started a few month ago with the idea of making something different from the usual electric board and I hope you’ll like it.

At first, the deck comes from an original freeboard deck (custom bamboo) pretty long wheel base and those nice S2 binding that I found very useful. After a few modification to the deck I made an enclosure from a sheet of steel treated with zinc for the esc and took polycarbonate/abs enclosure to fit the battery on top with the led light system.
While the esc is a Ying Li dual foc it will be one of the next part to be upgrade to two vesc 50 amp each.

The motors are 5065 200kv Racestar which I like very much for that build at least.
The truck are some MBS ATS ultra wide skate truck with 9.52 mm axes that I polished and fitted to some dickyho’s motors mount.
As for the ratio it goes with 40t/16t with the 83mm wheels base and 60t/16t for the 6inch setup.
The battery is a 10s4p which can deliver 40amp and damn my motors can handle twice as much not that the esc can at that moment …as the one I use only get 50 amp continuously and 120 for a second or so. So next improvement will be the battery as I’ll make it myself either with samsung 30qs or VTC6.
Last but not least the bumper were homemade from 20mm inox tube…
I need to add the pulley comes for the 60t from Dicky’s shop and the 40t from some great mate in the community, same for the truck a awesome builder gave them to me !

…]

Let give a little more details about how I make the enclosure : well it all begin with a sheet of steel treated with zinc.

Starting with reporting some measurement to get the right shape then bending by hand while the sheep is securely clamp into my workbench.

Checking the fit and continuing the bending process…slowly and surely :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Cutting and adjusting the final shape to fit the deck… Covering with vinyl carbon wrap and getting the hole right

Small update on the build : the new battery made by @Acido is arrived and it is exactly what I requested a 10s5p to fit on top of my board with samsung 30Q…The services provided was top notch and the delay of building quick as well. Thanks again to him !

A few pick of the building pack

The second update is the esc part …I ordered 2 Mini Fesc 4.2 some JST 2.0mm connector with pin to make the can bus connector, a nano style remote and a bullet proof anti-spark 200a…from there with the new battery (and maybe I switch with my 6384 230kv but that’s not sure at all I want to keep them for a another build in gear drive or chain drive) I will have a great build that finally have the powa…

17 Likes

Doooooope. Love that you shook things up a bit.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot, you’re comment is very appreciate

1 Like

Well done dude! definitely a special build :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well done from me too. MBS ats trucks tend to snap sometimes…

3 Likes

Thank you mate, I really wanted it to be :wink: special (still need some upgrade from vesc to battery but I’ll get use to it first)

1 Like

Thanks you so much for the positive welcome, I also heard that they could bind somehow I think they must came from a bad batch …anyway I am a lightweight no worry there

1 Like

Lionel. Welcome. Glad to see you here.

1 Like

You kind of made me come …thanks btw

1 Like

nice build!
Where’d you get the zipper case?

Thanks dude, I get it from Banggood : here is a link to get it directly https://www.banggood.com/Hard-Shell-Waterproof-Carrying-Case-Storage-Box-Handbag-for-Eachine-E58-RC-Drone-Quadcopter-p-1244848.html?p=4L091826432119201811&custlinkid=782364

1 Like

How are the racestar 5065 200 kv’s ? I’m looking for a motor replacement for a failed maytech …
Are these good to you ? Torque and speed ?

They are great are pretty reliable as long as you give them the amp they need which is around 40-46 amp for each motor ; especially with the 6inch wheels and the 60T they definitely need it but with the 83mm setup even at 20 amp per motor they give a great punch and to speed (40t-16t)

1 Like

The enclosures are so awesome. Simple but good and stable AF i bet. Reminds me a bit of the Hoyt enclosures but done from metal which i personally like more. Another great build.
Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Thanks a lot m8, I really appreciate your comment. And the comparison With Hoyt is very charming. Next build is going to be awesome

1 Like

to be honest the hoyt enclosure is open in the front and the back asaik, correct me if im wrong, what is good for air cooling the innards, but if you get caught in the rain, maybe its not the best solution imo.Because of that i was thinking about some “Air tunnel” enclosures, where the air can run through for cooling but the innards are protected. Something like luxury sport cars have. Dont know if that would make any sense ore difference, but maybe the air could be directed through some kind of maze or something, to cool esc and battery packs.

1 Like

Lol clearly a good flow of air is needed if the enclosure is not made of a material that can dissipate the heat efficiently but as you mentioned mine are made of steel so they really are making a crazy heat sink plus a big aluminium plate inside that helps a lot…definitely it performs great like it…Also too much water here in Belgium to let it open so I sealed it but the open design is nice asf

1 Like

it isn’t actually open i think… there are rubber plugs

2 Likes

@Esk84life
Hi there man.

2 Likes

Yeay, the esc are in sealed in rubber, but the enclosure is pretty open there :smiley: You can see it better when the hoyt is dissembled.

1 Like