Rebuild of my old board (V2)

yeah to be honest I don’t really typically use emojis, I was just tryin too hard for a first few posts to inject some life and emphasis into my questions

1 Like

same, using graphene 45c 2200mah 3s packs in series, but with 97mm wheels… 50a continous from the batteries tho. I got a flipsky 4 vesc… Right now Im overhauling my build and making it much better, hence the new board (and battery soon) as well as a bms and neobox in the foreseeable future.

1 Like

Make sure you never run it on 6S. I ran my build fine on 12S but dies when I tried to use 6S. (This was with a Vanda electronics vesc 4.12)

Yeah they are hot garbage that’s why I plan to replace, but I’ve gone on 6s the whole time last summer… maybe I just got lucky in the quality control lotto

1 Like

I’ve just hear the lower voltage makes the vesc draw more amps increasing the chances of a burnout. Mine blew a trace thankfully I rolled to a stop confused and tried to reset it. Then it sparked massively and melted the connector.

I haven’t tried to fix that vesc.

1 Like

Yeah 6S will make the motors draw way more amps. The vanda vescs were good ones too.

4.12 vescs are really not THAT bad. Running at 6s maybe? Idk lowest I think anyone recommends is 8s

Those batteries are pretty small, you may not get a lot of range with 2200mah. I get about 12mi with 5000mah, just so you know too

ik, they are just placeholders and will soon be replaced

1 Like

Ok so I plan to add 3d printed air intakes to direct airflow from under the deck as I ride, do any of you know of someone who currently has a similar system on their deck? (want to know if its worth the headache.) I´ve 3d printed protectors for the truck hangers as well as decided to run the batteries in a 10s2p setup laid flat, parallel to the rails in the center with the nese system to contain the 18650s and protect them, covered by kydex screwed down to mounts that will each have a machine screw nut to hold down kydex enclosures without drilling into the shiny deck.
(Just a build update)
Sound good?
Any recommendations?

1 Like

I’ve actually scrapped that idea. I’m in the process of making a battery backpack to carry all my cells. Got a new soldering iron so I can actually solder properly. Battery will be 12s3p lifepo4 (a123 cells)

1 Like

Got the used ‘boblbee’ knockoff backpack all cleaned up and rebuilt, then sleeved all my wires, trimmed my sensor wires cause I was gonna make only the 3 phase leads detachable and finished epoxying the motor stator and bell. Next up I need to get the battery container fixed (dremeled the hell out of it like a monkey), make a xt90 holder to attach to the esc, and make brackets to support them inside of the backpack so they don’t rumble around. (Using a 3d printer to make those parts)

6 Likes

That is one hefty battery. Just a thought, have you added an alignment slot in the printed Phase lead holder? Might be a good idea, might not be that important to you.
How did battle-hardening the motor go? Not worried about heat with the stator epoxied AND a sleeve around the motor?

1 Like

I forgot to add one on the phase leads, mistake on my part… will just mark the ground wire with epoxy. The battery is big, but not actually that heavy when on the back. It will take up half of the backpack, so can still store tools and or snacks or whatnot when I travel.

And no, not to worried about heat… even running 18/40 gearing
Plenty of space underneath for air to cool it anyway, may change later. Never had issues previously and I was using foc sensored with that same gearing
(I’m under the impression bldc is more efficient, with less heat being exerted during normal continuous running)

Battery is just a 12s4p lifepo4 pack, so has around the voltage of a 10s liion pack. Not that big considering some guys run 12s8p backpacks

in a recent wreck I just went down and the backpack ended up being my sliding gear that saved me. laptop was in it and got dented.

I’d make sure your battery pack protected enough in the backpack to handle that possibility.

just a thought.

1 Like

Yeah it’s a really hard abs, no flex. I weight roughly 155 pounds so not too heavy, won’t really crush the backpack. I will definitely be printing something to fill in the gaps with support/crushable material, or maybe make it easy on myself and stuff some extra thick foam in the crevices.
Right now though I’m focused on atleast getting it as a prototype to work.

I’ve actually just decided to use the NESE system with my 26650 cells. Fits well so far, 7/14 printed, just need to source tabs and hardware… is copper or nickel strip more efficient? How do you guys pad your packs? anyone got a backpack build they can share?

2 Likes

Have you finished this build yet? I was always interested in a Beercan deck… really stoked to see this in action.

1 Like

I am waiting on the stuff to build my lifepo4 pack, along with my charger and v6 neobox but yeah, the board is build otherwise. Been testing on a 4.12 and 6s lipo voltages… so it’s no speed demon but it’s still so fun. 10x better already than it’s v1 setup.
Will take a couple more pictures soon to keep this recent

2 Likes