Really weird screws - where should I find them?

Hey guys, so I recently received a second pair of Landwheel L3-x hub motors that I would love to add to my Frankenwheel build to convert it to 4wd.

When @Penny_Pincher sent the hub motors to me, I knew that they ran fine, but I wasn’t aware that they would be coming without sleeves, etc. Anyway, no hard feelings. I am in the process of trying to source the screws that hold the sleeves onto the hub motors, and Landwheel did it an interesting way. They used these conical screws that create a press-fit-friction-lock sort of mechanical connection between the hub and the sleeve.

By using this process it secures the sleeve in both the radial and axial directions - pretty smart, and probably why I have never had an issue with flapping noise or slipping.

I need to find these screws below: I tried searching around for them on Google but I wasn’t able to find anything that resembled them, nor do I know the technical term for these screws - weird considering my major but it does happen.

If anyone like @pkasanda or @Revel_Jason or @revel_flo who has worked extensively with the Landwheel brand has some extras or knows where to source these, that would be great - I need to find 16 of them, 8 for each wheel. Meanwhile, I’ll have a few more searches and see if I can come up with anything but I am not hopeful at this moment.

1 Like

Google “torx insert screw” they look similar to the screws you pictured but I’m not 100% sure there the same.

What is their OD?

it would be referred to as a “conical seat” bolt if you’re searching ebay/amazon

3 Likes

I saw those when I was looking around… They do seem similar for sure, but almost like the cone is a different shape, more shallow angle.

Ah that could be it too…

After looking at some of those they seem to be mostly hex head, whereas I need a flat top on them because of the plate that covers the outside of the hub.

Maybe @mmaner can come to the rescue?

2 Likes

They are torx T10 head screws, their diameter appears to be 0.21" and then 0.47" in length. Hard to exactly tell pitch but it was approx 7 or 8 threads / 0.1", so that would make it about 80 threads/in

So close… but so far…

Also - threaded shaft diameter - basically trying to find out if it’s metric (I presume) or imperial - and if metric, what OD

3 Likes

Oh that bottom right one looks pretty close, you may be on to something. I’ll measure the thread diameter - the numbers didn’t work out super hot in metric either, that’s why I posted the pic in inches lol. One moment.

Shet. Do you have a tap set that hopefully would’ve came with thread gauges?

The only bad thing about the pic being close is that it’s a fucking expensive dental implant screw haha.

This is the most shit finding screws has ever given me. That specific elevator bolt shiy a while back was a breeze…

1 Like

No clue, but I have a guy I can ask tomorrow.

1 Like

Here’s some more data:

Below, the calipers are open to exactly 1mm.

2 Likes

They’re called trim head bolts but they come in lots of pitches so finding the exact one will be tricky.

2 Likes

Hmm I see, you’re right. I wonder what supplier would be easiest to source from :thinking:

These are really hard to find lol

Hmm I wonder if they are custom or something…

Yeah. Some suppliers make 60° flat head bolts (standard countersunk bolts are 82° or 90° usually)

600px-Countersunk_holes.svg

I’ve seen screws like that exactly once before and it was in our schools lathes.

1 Like

Yah but even 60 degrees doesn’t quite match up either, this looks more like 75

2 Likes

I was thinking the other direction, like 40-45° personally

1 Like

Look at this scientifically accurate proof though

… proving you correct lol

3 Likes