Really strong tire smell.

I recently upgraded my board for the first time to AT wheels. Specifically to the Cyclones 165 ones.
Problem is they stink badly. I store my boards in a relatively small room which is also my home office workplace and the smell is unbearable.
I usually don’t have any special sensitivity to these things on the contrary, sometimes new tires smell nice!
Now, I wonder if this is specifically the Cyclones or is it any other rubber tire as well ? I have some sunmates wheels/tires which I haven’t noticed that they smell so strong.
They are already used for some time and also were outside on my porch for a while, but the smell isn’t going anywhere.
Any idea what can be done beside taking the board out of that room (I got a small apartment really).

Any sprays ? any other tips ?

2 Likes

Almost all new tires will have some sort of smell out of the box. Usually lower quality tires will smell worse. I would recommend taking the tires off the rims and soaking them in a bucket of distilled white vinegar for a few hours on both sidewalls, then use a rag or sponge to scrub them down with some dishwashing liquid such as Dawn. That should greatly reduce the smell.

3 Likes

Scrubbing the wheels with cleaning vinegar mixed with some warm water will work wonders, would recommend to also use a small brush to agitate the vinegar cleaner on the tires.

2 Likes

Its the smell of China rubbers…

1 Like

Exactly :blush:

1 Like

enjoy pampering your wheels with a peppermint oil facial

3 Likes

I have a pretty strong suspicion that tires from china contain more cancerogenic stuff. (china regulation, do they exist?) Try let them air out abit outside before bringing em inside, that stuff smells real pudgent

1 Like

We also once received such tires as samples from China. They came on a faked Superstar hub.
I sent them to a lab and they confirmed my suspicion. Rubber is expensive and cheap tires seam to have toxic supplement material in the rubber. Also de-moulding detergents used in such cheap product have been found to be carcinogenic.

Conclusion: If they don’t smell like a typical fresh quality bicycle, motorbike or car tire, then they probably made from some funny other material.

9 Likes

Can confirm, its the mold release agent that gets you as it off gasses, and the stuff can get absorbed through your pores/skin so defo wear either rubber or nitrile gloves when scrubbing, latex won’t stop shit when it comes to chemicals :call_me_hand:

3 Likes

So, is it also kind of dangerous to breath this smell when they are in the room according to your findings ?

God knows…

4 Likes

put it outside to air out, I would huff silver spray paint before china mold release.

1 Like

You need to provide more information if you want to make a claim like this. Almost every thing is toxic to humans in high enough concentrations which even includes the food and water you drink every day. Also there is a huge difference between something that is toxic to eat or inhale and toxic to touch.

As a company, you can’t just make vague statements like that without adequate evidence. You claim they were sent to a lab and yet you don’t mention what type of lab they were sent to or what type of testing was done. Labs don’t just exist to test every single thing that exists; they are specialized for specific types of testing and not giving the lab information is a huge red flag.

This isn’t even an issue for consumers since the mold release is washed off in the factory. At worst they could skip that step and then all a consumer would need to do is wash it off on their own. A one time exposure to the stuff isn’t going to cause any significant issues to anyone.

Now it is an issue for the factory workers depending on the PPE they have available and ventilation in the building but you are clearly implying it to be a risk to the consumers and not the workers.

For OP: I’ve seen people have good results when just using warm water and dish soap to remove mold release, but a look online shows that for rubber you can also use Wurth citrus degreaser safely.

@longhairedboy not sure if this needs to be moved to the other thread or not so consider this a self flag for maybe being off topic

Once asked an MD about working around solvents. His reply was if you can smell it, it’s inside you.

3 Likes

I’ll push back on the idea that all solvents are washed off at the factory, tbh depends on the manufacturer and quality, dipping into my experience in supply chain logistics and sourcing for hardware dev, oftentimes we would get rubber or latex/nylon components in that visibly still had release residue on it, its usually oily and nasty af.

That said will concede thats probably not always the case, but fuck it when it comes to weird smells and stuff that doesn’t ship with a MSDS/comp sheet still best to use minimal PPE if you’re going to be fondling it for any extended period.

1 Like

Same thing as when you smell someone’s nasty ass fart.

The molecules of poop traveled from their turdcutter into your nose.

Lol i have a mate that calls farts air poos :rofl:

1 Like

I agree that the best way is to use PPE, but in the case that you don’t know it is needed or don’t have it, then a one off exposure isn’t going to kill you.

Fear mongering helps no one so I had to point it out. There is already enough of it in marketing these days( and making people feel bad for the food they eat) and we really don’t need it for esk8 too.

3 Likes

Oh yeah totally agree, one hit or casual contact won’t do you in, I just have that mindset drilled into my frontal lobe on a quarterly basis lol.

1 Like