Rate my battery build (evan's first battery thread)

Hi everyone. I have been building battery packs like this for customers for a few months, and I thought it might be a good idea to see if you all have any tips for me?

I did soldering because it is safer than spot welding.

Cheers!

1 Like

Great to see another battery maker in the game! Great work! :heart_eyes::star_struck: i am absolutely sure you already know this but if i were to give you any advice it would be to make sure you have equal length BMS balance leads when you get to that part of the build, You dont want the diffrence in resistance from varying wire lenghts to drift your pack out of balance! Great work! Looking forward to seeing more! :fire::zap:

Oh and if you cant make sure they are equal lengh i would just not use a bms.

5 Likes

Can we really let this exist out there without commenting on it?

1 Like

:roll_eyes:

That doesn’t look very clean, or safe or…. I mean I’ve been away for a while but back then this would be unacceptable over here.

Just wondering why do you think soldering is safer than spot welding? It is definitely more harmful to the cells.

Oh, dear. Didnt even look who posted this :smiley:

Sarcasm missed

2 Likes

I drill holes in the negative ends to let the amps flow better

6 Likes

Of course you are welcome to comment. If you want to learn my methods I’m happy to share more information.

I used a bms at first but it gave me inconsistent readings. it said all the p groups were like 1v off, so I got rid of the BMS. Dang thing was definitely broken.

I soldered that on, but I thinnk I waas supposed to use superglue on the BMS leads. I’ll try that on my next pack for sure.

4 Likes

If you plug an XT90 loopkey into your battery leads it might fix your BMS issue, definitely firmware or something. :fire::fire::fire::fire:

4 Likes

“I’m really happy with my soldering, its 100%”

“Spot welding WILL actually break if you’re riding (an onsra :rofl:) a bit hardcore like i do”

“This is fine”

This has gotta be a troll

5 Likes

I think this resets the battery cells, right?

3 Likes

Yeah it should set all the cells to 4.2 volts, it’s a good charging lifehack as well, use it all the time. Another pro tip is to charge all cells to 8 volts, increases your range. Subscribe for more life hacks.

1 Like

I was gonna say, why stop at 4.2v? Seems like they are plenty happy to charge higher. I use 8AWG BMS leads also, it gives the electricals more room to flow and even out.

2 Likes

You gotta make sure to use really thick wire if your riding P42A because those cells will literally FORCE 45 amps out of them and there’s nothing you can do but add more copper and stack more nickel.

I repeat, cells will FORCE current out of them, so if your wiring can’t handle the spec sheet current rating (which is always true and does not change the delivered capacity) then all your wires will melt instantly

this is sarcasm and if you actually believe this I’m gonna throw your spot welder into the toilet

6 Likes

clearly false news here

i wholeheartedly recommend alluminum wiring becuae it’s lighter and cheaper than copper wire

5 Likes

And the silver color reflacts*** the electrons more effectively, decreasing the wire’s resistance.

***a highly technical term not to be used by the faint-hearted!

5 Likes

Plus so much easier to solder! It’s a no brainer!

2 Likes

I’m not very good yet at making battery packs but that is just…

Ah I saw this guy on a fbook group. Said he designed batteries or some nonsense and didn’t like that ppl were giving him negative feedback .
:man_shrugging:t2::man_facepalming:t3:

1 Like

People that can’t separate their DIY work from their own personal self image should not build batteries

3 Likes