Rally Bro - A Yeahthatperson Build

IDK, @MoeStooge said to put the HD setup through the ringer… I totally have my doubts, both on the trucks actually holding up and on the open gears. So far I’ve been hitting jumps, going through the mud, going through gravel, mulch, etc, and somehow may have held up!!!

I’ve been expecting any minute for something to get caught in them and me to go flying. However that is not happened. Knock on wood.

6 Likes

Everytime I see this thread pop up I think I’m about to see 3 link carnage.
Glad they’ve held up so far

I’d be more concerned about plastic bags than sticks and rocks.

2 Likes

I’m trying :rofl:

3 Likes

Well… Nothing broken, yet :rofl: Must try harder :rofl: I’m really enjoying this build. The @MoeStooge AT race tires are really nice on the trail.

Ok, so the spintend just has me sketch, can’t do 18s, and I want the s’s and the amps. So I’m making a few changes. 18s, ESC, and motors

Going to start with some SKP solos, and I’m doing it “Legos Up” style. Why? Be-fuckin-cuse it will look cool AF and different

For the enclosure, using a small pelican 1050.

I used a 1040 for my mountain bro build with a 100D and was pretty happy with it. A 1050 shouuuuld give me enough room to squeeze in the new dev robogatchi :crossed_fingers:

Next things to do:

• Go from 12s to 18s
  • motor swap to reachers

Questions:

• Radium vs SKP, what’s the difference in comparable motors? I think I’m leaning towards SKP

• SKP 6495 vs 7490 - 6495s look better to my eyes. IDK which I’ll go with. I’m concerned I’m going to get ferrous rocks inside them. I think I did this to @bboybowzer older (?) Reachers

More pix:

12 Likes

Ah dammit, you beat me to legos up!

5 Likes

Only the classiest go Legos up! I would not expect less of you Noble Sir! :heart::clinking_glasses:

3 Likes

Video update: kinda a where this started, where it is, and where it’s going with a bunch of skate footage

4 Likes

Ik I’m late but the 7490’s have a ton more rolling resistance than the 64xx motors do. They’re also quite a bit heavier. I would consider 6485 138 or 151 kv. I’ve been experimenting with different setups and though I haven’t gotten any motors at that kv yet, it theoretically seems like the best. If you’re a heavier guy like me opt for the 138kv to keep heat down but if you’re light, 151 kv should be good as long as you don’t have super top speed gearing.

3 Likes

So, upgrades!
SKP Reachers 173kv 6485s
GotchiPro

And I need spacers for the mounts, due to a clip and the width of the motor shaft slot in these mounts… I have some, but need m4 x 16mm to finish

5 Likes

If you didn’t order any I have those

1 Like

Upgrades:
18s 16Ah lipos
SKP Solos @Skyart
SKP Reachers - 6485 173kv
67/14t

10 Likes

Beast!!!

What tyres do u prefer? The chunky BRPs or the pneumatics?

1 Like

Thank you! I’m not sure yet on which I prefer more, I’m still doing a lot of comparing and contrasting and switching back and forth.

I know if it’s actually riding through the streets of Seattle, I definitely prefer the pneumonic tires, they’re less jarring to my joints and feet and add that little bit of cushion.

The BRPs are a lot of fun off-road! When I go in on the throttle hard I can get them to break loose while riding and throw giant rooster tails which is hella fun, and a little bit sketchy sometimes going through turns… But it’s getting fun kind of pushing the limits of powering through turns, getting the rear to brake loose a little bit and getting a little bit of drift going around corners.

The pneumonic tires, being a little bit thinner, tend to sink quicker in mud or really loose gravel where the BRPs tend to float over the mud or really loose gravel a little bit better. Oh and the BRPs look fucking sick! :rofl::rofl:

Once I’ve done some more testing and comparing contrasting the different setups, I plan on putting together a good comparison of different terrains and ride styles in which ones perform better in which scenarios

6 Likes

Keep coming here for carnage only to be dissapointed.
Wild and awesome that this rig is holding up to the likes of the unicorn monster.

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I’m trying, but I am letting you down @PedroMcJimenez :sob:

Ok, some carnage @PedroMcJimenez !!! But this one is on me for not lubing probably… I’m a bad bad unicorn :unicorn: but I learned from @fessyfoo that I should lube lightly before every ride… So I will start doing that!!

5 Likes

This is the most 10ply carnage I’ve seen from you.
Happy to see the trucks are holding up!

2 Likes

Wow that’s gorgeous destruction.

2 Likes

Holy shit! I’m going to hazard a guess that something got stuck in there to do that damage! I dont lube my gears either. But i also never go offroad with it.

If you wouldn’t mind sending me your PNW ESK8 bigfoot artwork I’d love to work that into this winter’s project - you know I’ve got that thing for edgelit.

Also, consider cutting the driven gear out of Delrin - the steel drive gear will last a lot longer. Though the kind of torque you push (especially at 18) might tear it apart. Maybe you could get away with it if the driven gear were the same width as the drive gear.

What pitch are those gears? I’m kinda tempted to try that setup when my chains wear out

Nice work!

2 Likes