Radium Performance

Good question. I’m honestly not sure I would have to do a lot of research on whats available now. I used to want a Haas but apparently they aren’t very rigid. I’d be looking on forums to see what people recommend instead of Tormach and Haas. You want something with a large bed size so you can fit multiple vises, a machine thats very rigid so you can run it hard, with at least a 10,000RPM spindle (Tormach 1100M maxes at 7500, 1100MX is only slightly more). Because most of the cuts for eskate parts are pretty small relatively speaking, and because small end mills aren’t very strong, instead of pushing them hard you need to run them at a high rpm to cut fast with them. The machines used by our manufacturer in China are cutting at over 20,000rpm which is why I don’t even bother trying to manufacture much stuff on the Tormach

2 Likes

What were the machines you were thinking of when you mentioned you could get more table space and power for the price of a Tormach?

Also, I feel like a haas is still a tier above tormach in terms of mrr potential. If you’re shopping outside that market you’re probably in a very different price bracket, though I will admit I am also not well researched when it comes to machine tool pricing. I’ve always liked Brothers machines, I wonder how well one would work for you. I suppose they generally have smaller table space, but they are very fast in pretty much all physical meanings of the phrase.

1 Like

I’d probably be looking at auctions for a second hand machine actually now that I think of it. Often you can get a pretty capable machine at a good price from a business thats upgrading/down sizing/closing down. Last year one of my friends was showing me some alternatives to Tormach for brand new machines but I don’t remember what they were called sorry.

I’d kill to own a Brother mill. So awesome…

4 Likes

Same here lol. Super cool.

1 Like

This is XP2, one of our development boards that we’re using to test and refine all the components for our future production board. It features a fully carbon fiber chassis developed in-house with a deck weight of just 1.1kg, a suspension system inspired by motorcycle swing arms, and the ability to run both urethane and pneumatic wheels. The production version will feature our own wheels, trucks and motors.

XP2 specs:
-12S6P Molicel P42A / 1080Wh
-950mm wheelbase
-218mm RKP trucks
-6374 BLDC motors
-Drop through truck mounts
-Drop deck with W concave
-17.1kg weight

Hollow carbon fiber deck, 1.1kg weight

Motorcycle inspired swing arm suspension

F1 monocoque inspired chassis

32 Likes

Lol so light. I think the semondeed deck/enclosure is like 4+kg

5 Likes

So siiick, what KV y’all land on for the motor or maybe I missed that somewhere?

5 Likes

All of this talk about switching frequency for these motors, I can’t keep up.

16s, 6485 205kv, makerx d75. Should I change things like switching frequency

1 Like

@DEEIF this is like what you wanted to make.

Looks great now you maybe let us have the goods? :smirk:

1 Like

mbs nuts also fit scrub 12mm axles, which i think means they’ll fit trampa 12mm as trampa copied scrub

1 Like

Thanks bro.

We had 190kv maytech motors on the first prototypes but now running Radium/Reacher 6485 at 300kv on 12S.

1 Like

If its already up and running and working fine then you don’t really need to change anything. But if not I’d change switching frequency to 30khz (assuming FOC).

Interesting! Someone will have to test that for me…

2 Likes

I went for 2 rides yesterday and hit 70% duty without issue so I’ll assume I’m safe. Thanks!

2 Likes

Is that some kind of suspension? How does it perform with only springs and no dampers? Or do the urethane bushings kinda act as both?

1 Like

I know, waiting for them to let me buy one :sob:

3 Likes

They act as both to some extent. Not as good as springs and dampers but much lighter and simpler. We use riptide WFB because it has the most damping

4 Likes

Test rider Marcy prefers XP1, our top mounted prototype board over XP2 which is setup as drop through :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9 Likes

My kind of dog :facepunch:

1 Like

These are my ultimate adjustable motor mounts, I’m finally happy after 3 years of designing different mount systems.

-4 piece design, totally new clamping system that I invented to abolish grub screws and loctite.

-Spline system to point the mount in any direction.

-3D printed bumpers for protection that doesn’t lose its colour as it gets scratched, allows for colour accents and different types of accessories in future.

-3 bolts holds the thing together with no loctite and thats it. Set your position on the hangar, choose motor plate angle, tighten up 3 bolts and you’re done.

-Changing trucks requires just changing the clamp insert piece which will be much more cost effective than buying a new set of mounts.

We’ll finally be able to start ramping up production of these soon. It will be a slow ramp as theres a lot going on here at the moment so if you’re after a set hit me up. I’ve only made matrix 2 clamps so far but if you have interest for another truck let me know.

If you want to learn more Michael from ZFG eskate gets more in depth about the mounts and our motors while showcasing his latest build: Radium Build - MBS Pro 97 Mountainboard - YouTube

21 Likes

That looks siiick. You should do an asmr video of all 4 pieces clicking together, I bet it’s super satisfying

5 Likes