R.E.D. Initiative 2021 - Ride.Every.Day

yes i commented to my better half about this yesterday. not sure if its because school is out tho

FAAAAAAKKKKK

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Another quick ride that turned into a long one

First time really riding at night, it’s not a problem on the 8” tires since you can roll over most things, wouldn’t dare ride in unknown places with the Caguamas at night

Also a bit disappointed with my battery, will start a topic with a poll later, but too low energy out of each cell, only 365 Wh out of a 10S5P 30Q charged to 41 V, I’m not expecting the full supposed 500 Wh, but this is way too low, it’s not that old

5 Likes

“They” say LiFePO4 has deeper discharge with lower voltage drop and lasts waaaaay more cycles, like 4,000 or something before capacity gets down to 80%. Although you’d need more cells (and weight) for the same Wh.

1 Like

This is 12S5P ANR26650M1B at 4.7kg weight for the cells. You’ll literally ride for years before noticing a drop in capacity.

1 Like

For sure, but the low energy density is a no no for me

The thing is that even for the abusive data sheet conditions it has 73%@300 cycles

If you account that I started at 4.1 V, I will still have close to 75% capacity loss, these cells were always taken care, never charged at more than 1 A, rarely fully charged

I doubt I have more than 150 cycles , maybe not even 100

Again, I’ve always heard that the 30Q doesn’t care how you treat them, they will degrade no matter how much you baby them

This is the only good test I know

1 Like

I wonder if there’s an argument to be made for usable capacity? e.g. when using LiFePO4 you need to compare a 400Wh pack with a 500Wh Li-Ion because the LiFePO4 has more usable capacity due to deeper discharge at more or less constant voltage? That would make the weight difference less of a problem.

1 Like

What constant amperage are those cells? 30a’s right?

1 Like

They’re rated at 70A constant and 120A burst, but rw testing says 30A. So a 5P pack like above will have 150A constant.

1 Like

Damn that’s sick

1 Like

Maybe, I will run the numbers, but space wise I can fit way less cells

2 Likes

First real group ride in a lonnnng time. Did 0 charge stops. So had to keep it easy on the throttle. Glad I could squeeze 24 miles out of the proto :grin:

7 Likes

I hope you wore a condom Kenneth.

4 Likes

I never leave the house without one on

4 Likes

Which battery do you have in your prototipo?

12s5p P42A. Squished. I think it was at 39V In the end. So could’ve gotten a little more out of it

5 Likes

Forgot the log :crazy_face:

I think I figured the mystery, I departed with 40.5 V and the 30Q has a significant plateau of capacity right above that, could be at least 2 Wh per cell, more if the VESC is reading a bit higher, this should add around 100 Wh total, 463 Wh of 500 Wh is way more believable the 363 Wh

Guess another long ride is in order, this time letting it fully charge

5 Likes

Had a weird midnight Father’s Day ride. A few times I’m pretty sure there was a big reduction in power on a few different hills. Doesn’t like like the esc’s got to thermal throttling temp and the motors weren’t too hot to hold my wrist skin on for extended periods.

Haven’t looked through the logs closely but broke it up into 3 different records due to some breaks to get a quick glance at what was happening.

3 Likes

FINALLY had a great ride tonight. Board humming, new track bumping (I gots the lingo), nice, cool weather and very little residual path moisture after today’s rain.

In true DingleBilly fashion, I left my action camera rig behind after finally getting my chest strap. I am the ooftard.

But when it all comes together like this, good times.

8 Likes

Good run today

11 Likes

looks like a beautiful day to almost visit Milwaukie!

Pick up any PBR?

1 Like