Push assist/Endless mode, let's talk about it!

For BLDC:

/**
 * Calculate the current RPM of the motor. This is a signed value and the sign
 * depends on the direction the motor is rotating in. Note that this value has
 * to be divided by half the number of motor poles.
 * @return
 * The RPM value.
 */
float mcpwm_get_rpm(void) {
	if (conf->motor_type == MOTOR_TYPE_DC) {
		return m_pll_speed / ((2.0 * M_PI) / 60.0);
	} else {
		return direction ? rpm_now : -rpm_now;
	}
}

For FOC:

/**
 * Calculate the current RPM of the motor. This is a signed value and the sign
 * depends on the direction the motor is rotating in. Note that this value has
 * to be divided by half the number of motor poles.
 * @return
 * The RPM value.
 */
float mcpwm_foc_get_rpm(void) {
	return motor_now()->m_motor_state.speed_rad_s / ((2.0 * M_PI) / 60.0);
	//	return motor_now()->m_speed_est_fast / ((2.0 * M_PI) / 60.0);
}

You’re referring to these right?

Keep in mind that not every motor has hall sensors. (If it’s hall sensors that you’re taking about)

what’s the difference between mcpwm_foc_get_rpm() and mc_interface_get_rpm()?

mc_interface_get_rpm() uses either mcpwm_foc_get_rpm() or mcpwm_get_rpm(void) depending on the motor type being used (With the former being used for FOC and the latter being used for everything else I believe).

The methods above are the calculations being returned every time you use the mc_interface_get_rpm()

well, i don’t know what else to say…it works, although it sometimes feels like it accelerates a bit after activation.

Yet it’s a lot of fun riding around, I don’t know what i would change as of now.

2 Likes

Nice! Can you show us a video of it in action?

3 Likes

I don’t think I’ve posted on this thread yet. But on the old forum I’d talked about this concept and I finally got around to making a video explaining it properly.

Geared the video towards a more general audience, so a lot of it isn’t anything new here, but still wanted to share.

4 Likes
1 Like

The biggest problem I see with this version of endless ride is the fact that if you’re not on the board, its a powered land torpedo, meaning a remote is absolutely mandatory.

Interesting that its using motor feedback to detect braking. But if the motor takes over the braking, how can it tell when you’re no longer footbraking? Seems to me as though there’s not really active braking happening and you’re going to either have to rely on the remote or footbraking to stop.

The last small issue is, how can it tell if you’re speeding up because you’re pushing or if you’re just going downhill? If it doesn’t have active braking, and its going to speed up maintain speed when going downhill, it seems like this really is a flatland feature pretty exclusively, which is fine.

1 Like

Perhaps they’re doing a form of load detection. I’m looking into this and paper I posted a few months ago uses this for scooters.

The DRV8301 generates the 5V and there is a regulator which chops that down to 3.3V

They could also have an IMU and be checking for inclination. If it’s accelerating, and the board is pointed downward, then it’s probably because hill. Likewise, maybe if roll is slowing but nose is pointed upward, it needs throttle to tackle hill instead of brake to assist footbraking?

Just my thoughts. In theory this would be really hard probably because of bumps and vibrations, you’d need some heavy filtering which could reduce responsiveness and possibly add an annoying delay.

Best way would still be to have pressure / load sensors detecting when you’re actually on your board, if no consistent weight is detected the board slows down to stop :stop_sign:

I doubt there’s weight sensors in the unlimited kit.

Agreed, tho it could be doable : it doesn’t need to be on the deck, even a small cell somewhere on the baseplate or the hanger or even on top of the battery rail/enclosure would work to failsafe the board

Power steering already has this algorithm figured out.

They use torque sensors.

1 Like

I have no background whatsoever in this stuff but from a quick read: https://www.knowyourparts.com/technical-resources/electrical/electronic-power-steering/

Is it possible to achieve a no contact power steering with the already systems we have ( motor, hall sensors, ESC)

3 Likes