Pulleys - Plastic vs. Aluminum

There are quite a few kegel pulleys made from plastic and aluminum. Cloudwheels and Backfire pulleys are plastic. Boardnamics cost about $50-60 dollars and are made of aluminum. I’ve had good experiences with all of them but the boards I ride are pretty low power 30a output. The 60a Psychotiller/Sender Skates has aluminum pulleys. Never tried plastic on this build. None of them have worn out yet.

Now I know there is a wide range of power output coming from people’s boards.

1. What power output are plastic pulleys generally good up to? Do they work for your build?
  2. Is the difference in price worth the difference in performance, tolerances, durability, etc?
  3. What would you personally buy?

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Plastic wheel pulleys generally aren’t limited as much by power output, as they are by longevity. Plastic wheel pulleys wear out fast. You really want aluminum.

And as far as the motor pulley goes, nothing can substitute for steel. It’s just… so good. Don’t worry about rust.

8 Likes

I bought too many of both already, I would rather steel gears.

5 Likes

The most I have on a plastic pulleys is about 500 miles. I can imagine that higher output wears the pulleys down faster. How many miles do you think a plastic pulley will last for the average rider?

1 Like

40t steel pulley. Hmmm, that would last for a long time.

3 Likes

I used aluminium pulleys on 6x2 wheels until the leading edge went almost flat. Used daily from 38°C to 4-5cm thick snow. I don’t think plastic would have made it through even 10% of that

3 Likes

Athrx get the extreme pulley abuse award.

1 Like

I commute on my board, that’s all. I think those pulleys seen about 5000km, on the low end

2 Likes

Is this a board you own? Don’t see a build thread :disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes

I bought this board from Kade Anderson several months back. Thanks to Skyart, it has a mew 12s4p p42a pack and smart BMS.

3 Likes

Getting back to pulleys, plastic vs aluminum. Any thoughts?

1 Like

Both work. One is better, one is easier to replace.

I have run both and never had issues with either. If expect plastic to wear down over a few years while the aluminum stays solid.

One detail is if your alu pulley gets a nick on it then it will be sharp and can cut your belt up. Not sure if rocks are more prone to get stuck in plastic pulleys due to the material properties also.

1 Like