Public chat - talk about everything with everyone

Anyone have recommendations for places to get good solder in the EU? I’m not super price restricted, I just don’t want to wait a couple months or get crappy stuff

How is it that a company can require me to watch all onboarding videos (which total to around 3-4 hours), yet claim it only takes one hour… and only pay me for one hour???

Honestly Im not even a direct employee of them so none of the information applies to me… im just going to skip through it anyways… but it just doesnt seem right. :thinking:

3 Likes

60/40 solder is the most common anyway, so it should be widely available at hardware stores… Unless Ireland is like the UK where no one knows what soldering even is.

1 Like

Yup unfortunately (the last time I checked anyway?) you can’t get shit here except the really bad lead free stuff, and hardware stores aren’t even that common to begin with. I’ll check around the city at the weekend, but I’ll probably just try to find an EU seller on eBay

1 Like

Worst case I can send you some lol
Probably some online electronics shop should have it for cheap tho

2 Likes

I technically could get you 1kg of 1mm 60/40 solder from stannol which I’m using myself.

Though the price is

53€ for the solder
5€ shipping tracked to me
Plus 11.39€ shipped (tracked and insured) to you.

Not sure how your taxation works.

1 Like

That’s like a decade’s worth lol

3 Likes

guys this could be pretty huge.

3 Likes

Not sure if I should go with Trampa VESC 6 or Focbox.

MBoards just got stocked back up with Focboxes and they are cheaper than that Trampa…

Opinions?

Buy a Xenith instead of a Unity – better warranty support and the on/off switch won’t fail eventually.

Edit: and how many threads must you spam this announcement in?

5 Likes

I’d actually question that. One of my Xeniths burned down completely. I had the AS fail on another one. (Plus, I still wonder whether there have actually been improvements to the AS as claimed since by comparing the Xenith AS circuitry to the Unity, we haven’t been able to spot any differences whatsoever.) And, I haven’t had much success with claiming my warranty either.

8 Likes

How about Stormcore 60D? Only $20 more expensive than Unity. I don’t have a personal experience dealing with Lacroix but I haven’t heard any complaints. Plus, unlike Massivestator or BKB, they have the guys with the technical expertise.

8 Likes

Been using and abusing 2 x 60ds for a good while now and I’m quite happy with them.

Still running one unity in the backup board but the other went pop bang.

3 Likes

Curious, was it the v1 or v2 zenith?

The v2

1 Like

so, among my current to do list is “learn how esc’s work well enough to physically build one if i wanted or needed to.” so hey guys explain to me how exactly this xenith i have sitting here works, and why it would stop doing so, if you could and would be willing to. i understand that the esc is basically a smart regulator between the battery and motor. but how does it do so and why does it fry? i understand that there can be a simple manufacturing flaw to blame, but in a perfect system, exactly what does the esc do, and how? and exactly what breaks them and how? bad manufacturing aside.

dont mind me, im half drunk, and my quest log is very long.

The vesc project is open source dude, get on the github and explore.

5 Likes

i am im just actively seeking useful threads on that and many more topics.

5 Likes

I used to run a business in another hobby not unlike esk8, selling parts to people all over the world. Shipped to 30+ countries from the US.

What no one tells you is that you can get a “business account” with all of the major shipping companies (except USPS) with a single phone call. You don’t need anything more than a half-baked story about what homebrew small business you run and some vague promises to increase your international shipping quantity over the years to come, and you immediately unlock 30%-50% off retail price.

The only reason anyone should be paying retail prices are you send less than 10 packages a year and/or you’re too lazy to save money. Granted your new account rep will hound you (twice a year) to check in on you, but you never have to answer or respond.

Even with USPS, you can get better pricing through PayPal (http://paypal.com/shipnow - this link appears nowhere on their site, so i have it bookmarked) for free or Stamps.com for a small fee (or Shopify if you already have a store)

Last protip - never ever ever go to a post office and buy a label in person. It takes forever, costs more, and there’s a non-zero chance the guy types it in wrong. Always pay online and print.

10 Likes