Public chat - talk about everything with everyone

Is that just a massive amount of hot glue in the front?

1 Like

No, it’s RTV silicone, preventing rattling/abrading and water ingress

2 Likes

I think those battery series connections are 2x 14AWG if I recall

2 Likes

I am currently shitposting on a zappy skateboard forum to dissociate from whatever is considered my real responsibilities at this point

Big shoutout to antivaxxers, go fuck yourselves and die because you just shut down all “elective” procedures at most meaningful hospitals again. Aka live savings surgeries, cancer treatments, screenings, etc. I hope you fucking get full brake remote’d without a helmet on

2 Likes

Killing people using stupidity, because it’s cool.

Also called “antivaxxer”.

2 Likes

Also notice if you look really closely

See the little pieces of fishpaper around the ends of the wires, to make sure no sharp parts abrade the neighboring wires once the shrinkwrap goes on

I can’t seem to fit wires along the sides, the thin neoprene I lined the deck with is too tight even without wires in the sides.

W/o the neoprene it’s just CF on the Battery and that’s no bueno.

Anyone got starting points for getting more stable and especially more confident riding at even moderate speeds? I know a level of caution is good for self preservation but I feel like I’m constantly on edge at anything above like 15-20kmh (~12 mph for those using old money). I’m not against buying a skateboard, or throwing together parts into an acoustic longboard, I just kind of don’t know what to do

For clarity I can ride up to 35-40km/h, it’s just I have zero margin for error so it’s really impractical for real world use. That plus 20k feels slow and boring

1 Like

Get rid of the neoprene and use fishpaper

There just simply isn’t even space for ANYTHING not essential in that area

Tighter trucks, good foot placement and strong knees&ankles

Solid advice. I’ll get on that.

Normally I would put some sort of foam there as well, especially on carbon. But in this case, squishing the battery seems like a bigger risk to me (by putting rider weight onto it) than just using the bare essentials to insulate the battery from abrasion under vibration.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve already got annoyingly wide turning circles and limited range of motion because of tight trucks (well stiff bushings plus wide trucks, not cranked down super tight, but same thing). I’m going to put together a shorter wheelbase board asap to try and get around this, strong lower limb stuff sounds good though

Try softer bushings tightened down more. If you can do split angles I’ve found that works really well for maintaining turning and stability on a balance.

Over 30km/h I find my legs get really stressed, and the way I learned to handle speed wobbles was to just have a rock solid stance (while still having bent knees to act as shocks). Eventually you sort of learn to “ride” the speed wobble sort of like a wave.

90% of boarding is muscle control IMHO

I ride on rkp trucks, and found that loosening the trucks quite a bit and then riding often really helped me increase speed. It seems counter intuitive, but hear me out.

You ever try a slackline? When you try to stand on one with just one leg for the first time your leg just wobbles back and fourth no matter what you do… until you do it for a a few days, then your brain figures out how to control your leg. You don’t really do anything different, your body just adapts.

With the trucks loose, you force your brain to figure out how to control the wobbling monster under your feet and it smooths out after a few days. I’m not actively thinking about how to stabilize the board, I just ride and it’s smooth. When I swapped stances I was wobbly all over again like I was first riding a board, until a few more days passed.

I’m not as fast as some of the racers on the forum, but I can casually cruse at 25mph while talking with an ebike friend, and we’ve got some rough roads here in the midwest.

4 Likes

Use narrower trucks (especially the front ones) and if you start to wobble, begin carving to quash the wobble. Don’t overtighten your bushings or use ones that are too hard. It seems more stable but this is just masking and amplifying (via hysteresis) instabilities that are present. Avoid TKP or DKP, especially on rear trucks.

Learn to put most of your weight on your front foot. Steer with your front foot. Your back foot should merely keep the back of the board on the ground as you go over bumps. Don’t forget to steer with your front foot. This is easy to forget. Your front foot drives the vehicle. Your back foot just makes it easier to balance on your front leg. But you should still be having most of your weight on that front leg.

3 Likes

Yeah, I second this as well

3 Likes

I third this. Too tight and it snaps you back uncomfortably.

Loose trucks save lives.

@mr.shiteside really work on keeping the weight down on the front foot. The faster you go, the more you should be leaning forward and really hammering down on the front foot.

When I’m hitting my top speeds, I feel like I could lift my rear foot off the board sometimes. Never going to try it but it’s literally just feathering the back of the board to keep it in line like a rudder.

6 Likes

Think I might force this to practice. Find a clear area and simulate wobble, or just practice a mix of wide and sharp craving

Similarly this does sound good, I know regular riding has definitely made me the most comfortable I’ve been so I might force the issue and go loose to get practice

Thanks folks

5 Likes

idk how you guys go fast with loose trucks, I’ve got so used to my trucks snapping back I can’t go loose anymore. I hit 54kph the other day with tight RKP 270mm 30/50