Public chat - talk about everything with everyone

i find ~5-10% more efficient

less rolling resistance, less energy loss through the belt stretching, less friction
more torque applied
other reasons i’m sue are out there

2 Likes

Wait is that really the case? So if I look at RT data in VESC tool or Freesk8 or any of those for a dual ESC, it shows consumption on both sides, and not just the ESC I’m plugged into? I always assumed it was only for one side, since it showed me getting 10Wh/mi on pneumies which seems low.

It will do it per esc for sure if you don’t have it configured to dual esc vs single vs quad etc (at least in robogotchi telemetry)

I meant that I can’t think of any loggers that calculate efficiency per motor. I guess single escs would be per motor though, I just mean to say on dual escs, it’s logging the whole esc and not just one motor.

1 Like

I still wish hub motor styled rims were created. Imagine being able to free roll on 8" :drooling_face:

Y’all joke, but I had a skate mocked up with one 6380 and two 6355 motors. Don’t be so quick to dismiss three wheel drive, it could happen someday. Not today, not here. But maybe some day. Maybe even here? Or somewhere?

Yeah, I got it to fit like this

with zero wires above or below the cells, and 2.54cm of foam in front of the pack where it’s too narrow to fit 18650 cells inside the enclosure

2 Likes

Is that just a massive amount of hot glue in the front?

1 Like

No, it’s RTV silicone, preventing rattling/abrading and water ingress

2 Likes

I think those battery series connections are 2x 14AWG if I recall

2 Likes

I am currently shitposting on a zappy skateboard forum to dissociate from whatever is considered my real responsibilities at this point

Big shoutout to antivaxxers, go fuck yourselves and die because you just shut down all “elective” procedures at most meaningful hospitals again. Aka live savings surgeries, cancer treatments, screenings, etc. I hope you fucking get full brake remote’d without a helmet on

2 Likes

Killing people using stupidity, because it’s cool.

Also called “antivaxxer”.

2 Likes

Also notice if you look really closely

See the little pieces of fishpaper around the ends of the wires, to make sure no sharp parts abrade the neighboring wires once the shrinkwrap goes on

I can’t seem to fit wires along the sides, the thin neoprene I lined the deck with is too tight even without wires in the sides.

W/o the neoprene it’s just CF on the Battery and that’s no bueno.

Anyone got starting points for getting more stable and especially more confident riding at even moderate speeds? I know a level of caution is good for self preservation but I feel like I’m constantly on edge at anything above like 15-20kmh (~12 mph for those using old money). I’m not against buying a skateboard, or throwing together parts into an acoustic longboard, I just kind of don’t know what to do

For clarity I can ride up to 35-40km/h, it’s just I have zero margin for error so it’s really impractical for real world use. That plus 20k feels slow and boring

1 Like

Get rid of the neoprene and use fishpaper

There just simply isn’t even space for ANYTHING not essential in that area

Tighter trucks, good foot placement and strong knees&ankles

Solid advice. I’ll get on that.

Normally I would put some sort of foam there as well, especially on carbon. But in this case, squishing the battery seems like a bigger risk to me (by putting rider weight onto it) than just using the bare essentials to insulate the battery from abrasion under vibration.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve already got annoyingly wide turning circles and limited range of motion because of tight trucks (well stiff bushings plus wide trucks, not cranked down super tight, but same thing). I’m going to put together a shorter wheelbase board asap to try and get around this, strong lower limb stuff sounds good though

Try softer bushings tightened down more. If you can do split angles I’ve found that works really well for maintaining turning and stability on a balance.

Over 30km/h I find my legs get really stressed, and the way I learned to handle speed wobbles was to just have a rock solid stance (while still having bent knees to act as shocks). Eventually you sort of learn to “ride” the speed wobble sort of like a wave.

90% of boarding is muscle control IMHO