[Prototyping] High power VESC 6.4 variant

hmm, I kinda liked the nrf24 for wand compability. oh well.

Is there a decent drop in replacement mosfet in same package that could handle abit more voltage?
Looking at the other components, having 70-75V input should be within reach? no?

Just an idea :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In the shown packages you can safely find 100v rated MOSFETs and drivers so shouldnā€™t be a problem :wink: clever design @JantySVK , love the compact size!

2 Likes

sure, but just cause they work dont mean theyā€™re any good :slight_smile:
Ron will definatly be higher = bigger losses = prob wont be able to run them without a heatsink.

1 Like

FDBL86063-F085 2.6mOhm / 240a would be a good example usable as drop in, enough room for even 84v use and low switching charge. Toshiba has also a good one I think with low RdsOn but I forget the ref

Anyway IMHO it should have a heatsink to cool down, even if it becomes overkill. A simple alu bloc is better than nothing :zap: at worst can probably run under 30a battery side without heatsink

1 Like
  1. NRF51 should be fully backwards compatible with NRF24.

2. I have also designed high power controller based on VESC 75/300, but I dontĀ“t have money and time required for it right now.

3. All problems are corrected now. I have mistakenly switched 2 resistors during assembly.

4. Onboard IMU is possible, but it would replace Bluetooth module. Wireless remote is still possible using 3-pin servo connector

5. Custom aluminium CNC milled heatsink would be awesome, but might be expensive. I have designed the pcb that you can solder small copper heatsinks to bottom side of the PCB and directly cool mosfets this way. But this heatsinks would be at different voltage potentials. Shorting them would destroy both mosfets and PCB

4 Likes

yes, but you wont be able to talk with the app and do remote stuff at the same time, which is why the original vesc6 has the nrf24 integrated? no ?

Cool solution but deadly :rofl:

3 Likes

I think is better IMU build in and BT as module :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have decided to release PCB files. It is fully open source now.

This is most likely final version of this ESC. I have also other projects, like dual PCB ESC based on VESC 75/200 and a really nice ā€œdumbā€ analog 10S BMS with included anti-spark switch. If this ESC gets plagiarized and mass produced in China, I wonĀ“t release PCB files for any of my other projects

1_low_ripple_2.brd (321.6 KB) 1_low_ripple_2.pro (688 Bytes) 1_low_ripple_2.sch (1.1 MB) pcb gerbers.zip (323.2 KB) schematic.pdf (68.7 KB) stencil_files.zip (380.0 KB)

19 Likes

Oopsā€¦

2 Likes

if you get this under $50, you will have a hot item. Reliability on anti sparks is a concern but might be a lot better at 36V than 50.

2 Likes

Build price for 10pcs is around 460ā‚¬, or 46ā‚¬/piece, including PCB and bluetooth module.

I would like to sell them for 70ā‚¬ with bluetooth and 65ā‚¬ without bluetooth module (master and slave connected via CAN bus). My price includes fully tested ESC, XT60 input connector, 4mm banana plugs for motor connection. Price does not include aluminium housing, or shipping. That is price comparable to VESC 4.12, but with much better specs

I had 2 PMs about aluminium housings. Maybe someone who has access to CNC mill could make them. I have already designed 2 piece aluminium housing

LCSC_Exported_20201217_225156.xlsx (12.3 KB)

12 Likes

@Creavenger

3 Likes

I might be able to help out soon :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Opps

@Mr.Electronicist @Baxter Hi, I just started small batch production. Here is list with all the prices.

PCB only - 3ā‚¬ (can select black, blue or green)
Semi-assembled PCB without ICs - 9.50ā‚¬
Fully assembled PCB without cables and BT - 55ā‚¬
Fully assembled PCB without BT module and 3 months warranty - 65ā‚¬
Fully assembled PCB with BT module and 3 months warranty - 70ā‚¬

You can select which components you want to have assembled by me and assemble the rest by yourself and save money. I have all required parts in 100s-1000s quantities. It might be a good deal for you, because of minimal order quantities from LCSC and high prices from mouser

Project is fully open source, including schematic and PCB files. I also posted direct links to all the components you need for complete ESC

Shipping calculator

11 Likes

@Luke wrote me a message about CNC milled aluminium housing. I have to admit, his dual ESC housing looks awesome. Are you interested? I donĀ“t know the price yet

5 Likes

Will this dual have an on/off switch?

What components will the semi assembled PCB come with soldered? Also what would the cost be for a semi assembled PCB with the test of the bom components included for us to solder ourselves?

2 Likes

Please write me PM :wink:

2 Likes