Project Pion | Flexible stealth cruiser

It’s been a while now that I have a very specific design in my head and I would like hear what you guys think. Very bluntly: I’m looking to build very stealthy and lightweight cruiser that’s also flexible. A mix of Exway and boosted you could say.
In terms of riding experience I’m trying to achieve something like whiteponey designed: video & thread

Project Pion:

Deck:
Probably bamboo, unless something lighter is possible without losing the flex. I would love to integrate some braided wires in de deck but I’ll definitely need to find some help, because I don’t have deck building experience. :sweat_smile:
Length: 108cm
With: 25cm
Thinkness: TBD?
This size should be big enough to house 12S1P of the lipo’s mentioned below

Drivetrain:
Since I want to keep it stealthy I think the only option are hubs. I’m also not a fan of single drive and 2 motors with belt are to bulky and heavy. Any suggestions? I was thinking of the Exway drivetrain. I think the power is sufficient but idk if the trucks are good for cruising.

ESC:
No insane power needed. Main requirements are the size and connections. They should all be horizontal.
MakerX Mini-FOC x2 seems to be a perfect candidate
Website
Esk8 thread

Trampas HD60T is a good candidate but in my opinion to expensive for this build… A little more flat would also be ideal.

Batteries:
If the ESC is low enough I would like to keep the profile as slim as possible. That’s why I’m thinking of 12S1P of 5000mAh Lipo’s

BMS:
Flexi BSM or the future ‘charge only’ diebiems will be perfect

Enclosure:
As you can see in the screenshot it will consist out of different sections, fully closed independently. Connections will be routed in the deck. I’m thinking of a removable design to be printed with a multijet fusion printer for example.

Curious to know what you guys think of the concept!
If anyone has seen something similar, please share. I couldn’t find something similar except for whiteponeys build.

1 Like

Maybe a MakerX esc will work for you

2 Likes

I think you’ll definitely need to purchase a router so that you can make cutouts for your wires, and possibly for the batteries. I think you’ll have to make your enclosure have multiple segments if you want to keep it as flexy as possible, and going for a flexy deck to begin with will be a must.

I’ve heard good things about the exway drivetrain, but if you wanted to go all out, then buying some loaded x unlimited hubs and putting them on TKP trucks will give you the ultimate carver board :smiley:

And yeah – makerX makes some very thin vescs :+1:

1 Like

Make it Fwd!! :fire:

1 Like

I just mounted them with a bunch of makerx mini, i love them,
felt in love with the seismic trucks : they feels like i will finally be able to learn how to power slide with them !

You will need to do some DIY to be anle to use those hubs though they have a proprietary connector

Penny longboard 36" is very similarly designed

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll check them out.

Yeah. I hope I can collaborate with someone

Good to hear! Checked out the unlimited hubs and indeed a cool project and full liberty of trucks! but damm pricy :open_mouth:
If I compare performance (if that possible) there is a clear difference in power, not not in torque, so I’m curious if you could feel the difference.

Exway:
Schermafbeelding 2020-11-16 om 19.25.01
Unlimited:
Schermafbeelding 2020-11-16 om 19.27.18

Why is that?

Nice, second person that likes the trucks, that convinces me! Yeah, I’ll check out if it’s custom made and if I can purchase the connector. I would like to incorporate them in the deck as well. If not I could also replace the connector

Thanks for the inputs guys!!! Much appreciated!

1 Like

i spent many hours looking for it and didn’t find the exact same one, i think you could find one with similar pattern but different pin sizes and “makes it fit” but they are low amps rated and not much easyer to find.

You could find someone parting out an exway / resseling a dead exway (if it ever exist) and salvage the connetors and interface pcb.

Or you can just hand solder other connectors

1 Like

I’ve been looking in to the MakerX Mini-FOC, very good option! Only 10mm thick. Only (minor) downside I can see is that the hall connector is not in the same orientation as the motor cables but whatever :man_shrugging:t3:

That certainly doesn’t look good : but everything fit in this top box (6s2p bat, 2xmini foc, loopkey, ppm and ble receivers)
Outer mesures 40x180x130mm

And all of doesn’t weight 4kg (i don’t have a balance to check though)

I use the exway trucks in dropthrough so i have maybe 4cm between the rocker of the deck and the ground

Edit : keep in mind that the mini foc now comes with a cap on the power leads (12mm diametre x 30mm)

Edit 2 : i had to kick the BMS out though

2 Likes

Do you mean something like this? :open_mouth: That’s a bummer

Nice build! :smile:

I have ten single lipos with 5Ah each, 2x MiniFOC plus I bought for a project I recently realized I will never start so if you are interested let me know, I’ll make you a good price :slight_smile: Shipping from Germany so no taxes :wink:

1 Like

Yeah exactly, a bit smaller I think (12mm instead of 16)

Do you know why that is?

i think that @linsus used a 80v 680uF and makerx use a 63v 530uF

which means in no case you should try to go over 13s but should work the same as it’s only a protective add-on when the ceramic caps are supposed to do the job in a 10s/resonable amp scenario

1 Like

63V is fine, just make sure you pick one with high temp rating, the cheapo ones that sustain less heat lasts like 1/3 of the time the cap with the higher rating does, at a few penies price difference

2 Likes

Thx for the info. What is the purpose of it of the cap?