Problem with Slick Revolution/iWonder Cloud Wheels (SERIOUS)

Lol, his account is deleted

2 Likes

So what does that mean?

The post itself and his reddit account is gone.

Not sure why. I’m contacting a mod on there to ask for more infos if they have any

2 Likes

For the record, here is an image of most of the Redit thread before it was deleted. Someone suggested the belts were too tight. Could that produce adhesive melting heat?

This is starting to look like it is either fake, Malicious or user error.

The pictures appeared on Redit. Hours later the User and the post are both deleted.

Also, the situation itself does not make any sense. The poster claimed he had two wheels fail this way. Once on his very first ride after 5 miles. And a second time after his replacement wheel arrived just 10 miles into his ride.

How does a core reach a high enough temperature to melt the adhesive that holds the core to the tire? How does that happen on such a short ride?

Overtightened belts?
Over tightened Bearings?
350 LB rider?

Or was this a malicious post by that guy who has a hate on for I-wonder?

3 Likes

hasnt failed any other wheel before? Not to this degree anyway

4 Likes

Good point. This could literally happen to any non-pneumatic wheel we use if they got hot enough.

2 Likes

@jujo

1 Like

oh god what

Perhaps a silly question but what are you saying?

a) No discovery wheels have failed like this so over tightening and over heating is a likely explaination?

b) No other wheel core has ever melted before due to overtightening?

I think you mean a) but its not clear?

The above picture shows melted core due to missing spacer. That’s another possibility. But Overtightened bearings can do the same thing.

1 Like

Update:

8 Likes

So basically exactly what we thought lol

no spacers and a lot of weight will easily melt cores

4 Likes

Well good for him for acknowledging responsibility. Not everyone is brave enough to do so.

@xsynatic, Please pass on my thumbs up to Mr accountability. Also someone should tell him to get the proper spacers instead of packing in washers. Can you send him a link to order spacers from somewhere?

3 Likes

Yup.

2 Likes

Well, here go my Cloud Wheels with the black core. These were on a low budget board i built with leftover parts. Went to the store on it and all of a sudden i feel back wheel thats connected to motor since this extra board only has one motor, anyway, i get home and started to take wheel off and hear is what i found. I’m wondering if riding on sidewalks did this but in reality the cores are not built strong enough. My main board is down due to inner tubes being flat, that’s a whole other issue i’m having.
If people continue to use Cloud Wheels be very careful, this issue can be very dangerous.

6 Likes

Send your pictures discretely to I-wonder via their support email address and ask if you can purchase an upgrade to the discovery wheels. you might want to remove the bolt on system because I-wonder specifically says that those are not compatible with their wheels. All of the adapters that they sell are the plug-in type.

Your cores are particularly shredded – possibly the worst or second worst that I’ve seen. So consider the possibility that thecores were crushed by the bolt on pulleys.

Also, I don’t want to sound like a broken record but I don’t see any spacers. Whether they were there or not, just make sure that you have them in place for any replacement wheels that you buy.

And if you do upgrade to discovery, invest in the proper plug-in style wheel pulleys.

I hope these thoughts are helpful to you. I’m not trying to defend the old black cores or to attribute blame to you. Just giving you a few things to consider.

3 Likes

thanks for the info. i went into T. B. A. T. wheels last nov. thats what me and my son been using. i stopped riding cloud wheels and SR Foamies once i seen these issues. I’m not gonna bother with the companies regarding these issues. And yes i did have spacers inside the wheels.

2 Likes

I like those wheels where can I get them?

Man they really don’t like bolt on pulleys on those old ones

3 Likes

下载
you know what i mean?LOL

1 Like