Preferred ESC in 2021

I get your point, and quoted MakerX mini because it will overheat way before it reaches ratings quoted above on the spec sheet.

It would need better cooling to bear 80A at least.

Also this category only applies to Vedder based ESC, cannot use it for anything else (ex : Castle esc used on SRB)

I believe the idea to classify esc by power ratings would be to help select an ESC based off your needs.

You’re only doing sub 25mph in city without big hills or accelerations? You don’t need a 10kw esc for that.

You’re pulling drag races or off road on regular basis? You’ll start looking at that 10kw esc or the best you can have.

Both can indeed do regular commuting but not both can do extremes

1 Like

Manufacturer specs are often heavy on the marketing and light on the science.

5 Likes

I agree but so are the motors over optimistic but possible normally with the correct cooling

other categories
HV (over 12s)
Dule motor controllers
Budget

The naming of the VESC also gives a clue as to there category as to what to compare it to

Mini as in maker x mini
HD (high density) as in Tramp HD

Are some of the obvious ones that come to mined.

Sprinted with their remote amazing features for the money. Medium power? Outstanding customer service.

Heads up that dissipate means to waste, and in physics and engineering it is (basically) only used for the dispersion or removal of heat. For example “That heatsink can dissipate 50W in free air” (discussing a good property of a heatsink) or “that wire dissipates 2W when you put too much current through it” (discussing a bad property of basically anything other than a heatsink).

3 Likes

i’m not active anymore so i’ll mention one that people was hyped for. Stormcore ESC. Now I just saw this. Man ESCs these days are just powerful.

2 Likes

Which VESCs have high reliability and ease of use?

Flipsky FSESC 6.6 DUAL with big caps and no built-in antispark

Flipsky ESCs are the last thing you want if “reliability” is on the wish list.

9 Likes

Using an ESC at less voltage and current than most other folks use them at can increase the reliability many times over. So if reliability is your goal and you take an ESC that most other folks are running at 12S 50A battery, and only run it at 10S 30A battery, then your expected reliability will be far higher. This is how to make reliable.

6 Likes

Are you factoring in the higher RDS(on) that coincides in mosfets rated for higher voltage?

HV ESCs are not necessarily well suited to be run at lower voltages.

5 Likes

The lower current addresses that.

3 Likes

Come again? Unless you’re scaling your power ceiling, lower voltage will result in higher amp draw.

4 Likes

The Rds(on) heat dissipation is not affected by the voltage, but only by the current flowing through the junction. The effective voltage across the FET can be computed from only the current and the Rds(on).

4 Likes

Sorry, I forgot to add a snarky “Come again?” to my post.

5 Likes

But running higher RDS(on) mosfets at lower voltage will pull more amps through them than at high voltage, thus increasing heat. You’ll run more efficiently and cooler at higher voltage to spec.

I’m not sure that recommending people run 12S on HV ESCs for added reliability is accurate. There’s additional voltage ceiling there to make transient spikes a non-factor, but I’m yet to pop a 60V rated ESC running at 12S due to a transient. If anything, heat has been the primary concern.

4 Likes

Actually, an increasing resistance will lower the current draw.

I also recommended lower voltage AND lower current, not increasing one at the expense of the other.

4 Likes

At the expense of heat. And I think you’re missing that this is a current controlled AC power system; what you’re quoting isn’t actually applicable here. I can explain further if you’d like.

Ultimately if you want reliability, heat is your number one enemy. Transient spikes are a critical random event, where heat will slowly kill your components over time.

Lower amps = lower heat. You can lower your current draw by lowering your power ceiling, or raising your voltage.

Running an HV ESC at lower voltage only gives you additional protection against transients, and puts you in a worse position when it comes to generating mosfet heat.

5 Likes

I am saying that less current is less heat. So you ideally want more voltage headroom and less heat combined together. This will increase reliability and decrease power.

Running an HV ESC at lower voltage and lower current puts you in a better position when it comes to generating MOSFET heat.

2 Likes

The same settings with a 12S ESC will produce less heat due to the difference in RDS(on). Transient spike risk is reduced with lowered amps and not really a huge issue with modern 12S ESCs even at full charge.

FWIW: my position on this comes from both the electrical theory backing it + 18 months of riding on HV ESCs at 12S. They simply run hotter than the same setup with 12S ESCs, and the difference in mosfet resistance is significant. @Blasto mentioned this early on when I was building out LoveChild, and I decided to play guinea pig.

6 Likes