Potting all electronics

Arguably the best bike battery and esc (true sine 72v) available for their power level. Both are potted.

Battery in maybe 80 duro pu and esc is harder.
With fuses ![image|375x500](upload://1F 0Q7JgWXFInRkUtCHfQAVHqP2H

8 Likes

@b264 is it waterproof yet?

2 Likes

Looks great :+1:

Not serviceable though

1 Like

Just put it in the microwave for 30 min and u got the cells out :man_shrugging: watcha mean

3 Likes

Iā€™m all seriousnessā€¦ PU isnā€™t heat reactive is it?

1 Like

If it has any watermolecules at all in it, it is. Tbh, I have no clue

What Linus is saying is that you should pour water onto the parts and then pot them. That will keep the water off the parts.

4 Likes

:grimacing::grimacing::zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

I am not 100% sure, but I think TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane) (or China 'Thane) you can melt, and thermoset polyurethane (or Cali 'Thane) that requires curing, you cannot melt it, but only burn it with enough temperature.

4 Likes

Yea ā€œsetā€ isnā€™t reformable w heat. Both are big thermal insulators and surprised to see cells potted when heat is a cell killer.

I imagine theyā€™ve already tested this battery thoroughly but I wonder how a fuse would melt down while encased. Maybe would melt before pu deformed and would hold the liquid metal fuse in place. The cellsā€™ pressure release valves arenā€™t going to function with the hard rubber holding it closed too.

I thought theyā€™d at least pot the cells in some filled resin that would at least be a bit more thermally conductive then this clear/unfilled. Bet it reduces cycles and max amp ability.

Doing the esc w a heatsink imbedded seems great though.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t know about China thane, that was my understanding about thermoset thane. Thank you

2 Likes

Wait @hummieee didnā€™t you already pot a battery?

2 Likes

tthe encasing pu intended to give the compression to the contacts wasnā€™t reliable. Was more interested in compression than potting

Ended the quest for compression connections after using rubber bands and 3D prints with copper sheet which worked nicely but not when crunched into a box on a board as other forces ended up releasing tension on cellsā€¦falling in and out of parallel again

2 Likes