POLL: Retaining Compound -- sufficient for motor pulley?

Yep, agree…A solution could be to use just a bit in some points and use a welding pen to touch and burn the epoxy alone (think it would be safe that way)

Yeah, I’ve thought of JB Weld as a last resort, but I was hoping there was something that was semi permanent and could allow me to remove the Kingpin with some heat and pressure, if necessary. Definitely gonna have to some top quality kingpins if I’m gonna JB Weld them in.

Some of the loctite retaining compounds in theory could work with that gap but with very reduced strength

3 Likes

This is exactly what I do.

638 all the way.

Didn’t vote because I won’t use it without a key

4 Likes

Agree it adds zero information, but having everyone’s preferred choice can avoid them picking less-accurate choices. Not everyone will abstain from voting if the most fitting choice for them does not appear on the poll :smirk:

So it can make the other useful information that you do have – more accurate.

1 Like

Also have to reiterate: Cure time, cure time, cure time.

Heavier duty stuff literally needs 24-48+ hours to fully cure. Most of us are not patient enough to wait that long.

4 Likes

648 (or other retaining compound) alone? never done it, wouldn’t do it, don’t trust it.

• Keyways plus grubscrew with 262 is good
  • Keyways plus 648 is good
  • Keyways with a lost grubscrew and brittled 262 still ok to ride home if that even happens.
5 Likes

You can use primer/activator or heat to speed this up. Saw this in the pdf:

Bond Strength: Cure speed can be accelerated with the application of LOCTITE® Activator before parts are assembled, or by applying heat up to 120°C (248°F). Heat will usually increase the ultimate bond strength. Activator will usually decrease the ultimate bond strength.

So with primer you trade time for strength.

Some discussion about slip/press fit, gap, strength, temperatures in this pdf

@b264 yeah I really should have added +key options, and perhaps the abstain option. I thought about the options, but as usual the correct poll options emerge after a bunch of votes/discussion, and it’d ruin the poll to change it now.

Still, I think we have some useful data…

3 Likes

Cement mixer pulley, no set screw in new 13 inch pulleys. Old shaft has no key groove. Will loctite work?