POLL: Retaining Compound -- sufficient for motor pulley?

I thought retaining compound was the shit for motor shaft <-> motor pulley interface, but in this thread there are at least 2 members with multiple failures. I’m shook. Let’s collect some data.

• It works – don’t need key or grub screw
  • It failed me once – not sure if I trust it
  • It failed me but it was user error
  • It failed me multiple times – it’s crap

0 voters

Especially if it failed, can you post some details? drive train specifics (belt? gear? chain? gear ratio?), type of pulley (alu or steel), type of retaining compound, did you clean, did you let it cure, etc.

For me, I use 648 (high temp). Steel pulley, kind of a loose fit. No key no grub screw. I had 1 failure, after maybe 1.5 years of almost daily commute. Cleaned the hell out of it, put it back with 648, and it’s all good.

For further info, this pdf is kind of intense. page 16-17 have charts.

http://dm.henkel-dam.com/is/content/henkel/RetainingDesignGuidepdf

I thought 648 was high strength high temp, but maybe I should be using 638. The difference seems to be viscosity/gap-fill (648 thin 638 thick) and a bit more strength for 638. Temp range is the same.

6 Likes

I think there’s a topic on the old forum about this and it explained that there was too much space in between the pulley and the motor shaft that the threadlocker never properly sets and you’d be better off just threadlocking the grub screws. May be wrong here 50/50.

4 Likes

Everyone answer, I actually need this data lol

3 Likes

It’s missing the option “It hasn’t failed on me, but I don’t trust it”

Because I removed it, who knows if it would’ve failed or not, data not available LoLz

5 Likes

science_drink

3 Likes

It’s worked fine for me, @eBoosted is a big proponent as well. But to be honest I just feel safer with a key and grub. It’s like it works fine but I don’t trust it yaknow?

6 Likes

Lol I was adding this option, then realized it adds zero information.

1 Like

I used 638 to secure a moving shaft to the can. No grub screws. Let it cure 72 hrs.

That was over a year ago and it’s still strong.

5 Likes

@Andy87 @avX had the failures.

FWIW I’m on team retaining compound! After I get everything dialed in I glue it down no grub or key.

Unless it’s a system like a gear drive, then I follow instructions.

2 Likes

Interesting point of data:

I used green loctite on my motor gears (not pulleys), no grub screw.

On a group ride, I hit a nasty piece of asphalt directly to my gear case. Immediately went to 1wd. I figured the loctite gave and the motor was free spinning.

Nope. It held and my 4 motor screws actually loosened enough for the whole motor to slide out of the way even when a bolt backed into the mesh.

5 Likes

It failed on me several times, but because I rode it after only 20 minutes of curing time, I’ve been runing mine for almost 3 months without any issues at all, I’d say it’s 5 times more reliable than a regular grub screw tighten excessively

6 Likes

I never tried pure retaining compound, but I do use it in conjunction with a key to an easy and rattle free assembly

5 Likes

If it’s possible I would always use keyway or flat spot and set screw plus loctite.

With this said, I think only loctite can work well too depending on the application.
If you run belt without idlers for example your belt will rather slip than rip of the pinion.

I run my gear drives with loctite only and had the motor gear come lose twice.
I cleaned the motor shaft properly and was waiting usually even more than 1 day before I took it out for a ride.
Things I changed to get it better fixed.
Sanded the shaft a little bit.
Using loctite 638 and some local red fake loctite which is very strong and not as much fluent like the 638. why? Because I think the gap between shaft and motor gear was too big in that one case.
It also seems to make a difference if traction control is switched on or not. With traction control there seem to be less stress on the motor gears if that makes sense.

So in short, yes it can work, but I would always prefer to have a „hard lock“ as well.
Unfortunately it’s not always possible if you use 10 or 12mm motor shafts.

1 Like

I even glued the shaft to the can lol
Because the hardened steel replacement shaft wasn’t machinable for the set of tools I have at hand.

2 Likes

I think about welding the motor gear to the shaft if it comes lose once more :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

This shit is so strong I destroyed a racestar motor trying to remove it. Even with heat on the fucker.

2 Likes

Blow torch for 15-60s always burned or liquified every loctite I ever used.

6 Likes

I used bison lockbond, now i cant get the pulley off anymore without a pulley puller or whatever people call it

3 Likes

your experience makes me want to try this :wink:

1 Like

Used the same before, my pulley was also very stuck, just get a big blowtorch it will take care of it in a few seconds. I used a smaller torch at first which didnt work.

2 Likes