[POLL] in-stock FOCBOX 1.7: would you buy them? [SRO]

@nickw1881 I forgot an important one

That :arrow_up:

Stock firmware has a voltage multiplier to sense 12s batteries, or maybe 14s batteries. You won’t sense 100V batteries with that. Need different numbers in the .h file. Then you also can’t use a DRV8302 which uses SPI bus for some settings. DRV8302 can handle up to 12 or 14s, but they suck and blow up so you need a different driver that can go to 100V and doesn’t have a SPI bus.

Whoever makes this VESC variant will have to forever promote a website with the firmware on it, or talk to Ben and get it into “the official list” so its easy to find firmware. Probably have to do that anyhow to prevent lawsuits.

2 Likes

Then I’d just keep the DRV8302 until Vedder moves to a 100V gate driver. He does have a 75V version, though. :thinking:

VESC 75/300 is different FW, and it does not use the DRV. But it’s in “the list”

It’d be awesome if you successfully petition Ben to add this new device. The DRV is crap TBH. I don’t know why he didn’t swap it out for the 6. It doesn’t really save any money, its harder to lay out, and the 6 uses separate current sense amps anyhow.

I’d just as well offer a fork of VESC-Tool and software to go along with it. We could add to the “list” ourselves. Just need to figure out how to make it cool with Ben and Frank. I think the requirements are that we keep the source open and call it something other than “VESC” and “VESC-Tool”. I’d call it the “Pawtucket Patriot ESC” and “PP-Tool”. 100V, 60A, with white-market parts from Digikey or Arrow.

6 Likes

anyone have a link to or the datasheet for FOCBOX 1.7?
edit: i found this one but not sure if its 1.7

1 Like

Jeff Neo is making focbox clones for $69 each! And upgrading some components like the caps

@everyone who voted in the poll

1 Like

Lol no where did he say $69 lol did he really?

1 Like

@torqueboards you seem a little nervous :grimacing:

12 Likes

It was an estimated price i guess, tests units are going for 80$ right now, so i believe they did cost a little bit more to make than he was expecting.

4 Likes

@yelnats8j nah lol more so that price would be insane. I’m bout to buy from Neo.

10 Likes

I think the focbox Neo is sending out units for are both his upgraded ones. So the 80$ test unit is the old school focbox with better components. But he could potentially sell the OG Focbox without any upgrades for 69$, that’s my understanding of it.

1 Like

Definitely yes. I just read about the way the unity powers the motors.

I own a OG FOCBOX and my friend has a Unity. He is running this unity with one motor, planning to upgrade later. The unity is just boring to me. My FOCBOX just pulls up and gives enormous torque to my motor, his dual (half-used) unity just slowly accelerates instead of directly feeling that acceleration. That would probably be less on dual, but still, wouldn’t want this, I own the damn board for fun. (Yes I know, for cummuters this would probably be nice, also because it seems to improve range.)

1 Like

The difference in torque is not caused by the esc lol, it’s a difference in settings, gearing or motors

9 Likes

For your incoming prebuilds?

2 Likes

@Kellag. I’ve heard different… I heard it only powers one motor at a time, switching between the two motors. Where a single esc delivers full power.

1 Like

@Deodand that true?

I’m actually pretty sure you’re right and this is the case for dual ESCs without a canbus.

I thought it felt a little off until @CiscoV mentioned it too

3 Likes

I think theres some confusion with a higher frequency switching algorithm which reduces ripple current seen by bulk caps at certain duty cycles and has nothing to do with power delivery. Functionally there’s no difference in power delivery.

8 Likes

Thought so, gracias El Jeffy

3 Likes

Lol Nick I totally did miss that EPIC ESC you made.

It looks really cool!
I’m approaching the point of throwing together an EFoil.

Not sure I want to buy ALLLL that crap from china. Maybe the mast though.

1 Like