Pocketable Fuel Gauges: pictures and howto [serious]

Surely just have one good one and be done with it?

2 Likes

“good” always gets better as you learn. The shitty ones were good before.

I’ve also sent a few out with esk8 parts to other people, and broke one of them. Some I keep set to 12S LiFePO4, and some to 10S li-ion, and I used to have one on 7S li-ion

1 Like

To be honest with you. I made one of these and barely use it. There’s so many other ways to check your battery now.

The simplest being the 4 dots on the vx1. Not the best but I mean it’s something. However that paired with a metr pro, I ended up not using the portable meter much anymore. I still bring it with me but I mean once you get a feel for what your boards range is you’re Gucci.

2 Likes

This is my primary way. I don’t use any gauge at all. I know about how far it goes, and if I feel the cutoff start happen, I know I’m close.

When I’m pushing limits or going far away from home, I usually bring one of these.

2 Likes

the dots on my vx1 are all wacky, set to 12s, when it’s almost at the end of battery life there are 2 dots lit…

I ran her dead yesterday all the way to one dot…

i mostly use intuition and my fone…

1 Like

Yeah the vx1 has AK47 accuracy when it comes to that lol. For me its been alright. I know I’ve been swapping around mx vx1’s lately and I’ll realize miles in the remote changed to some other voltage.

2 Likes

3D printed an enclosure for my volt meter.

4 Likes

Have this in my bag when using my small board. Using @mmaner’s STL file

4 Likes

Whats the best way to find out which size chargeport my friend has? He has a generic charger and i’m not sure if its 2.1mm or 2.5mm without sticking something inside.

like this

I would bet it’s 2.1mm as most I’ve seen are. If you don’t know, and have no way to measure, it seems far more likely to be 2.1mm

But I think the best way is to measure the pin with calipers while it it NOT plugged in.

1 Like

if you have a 5.5 x 2.1 jack… plug the fukker in… NOT CONNECTED to the mains… if it don’t fit, then that’s not it…

there is an insulator on all good charger jacks…
if you plug in a 5.5 x 2.5 you don’t know how to science… math not maths (there is only one) is easy

1 Like

Well I love this topic, I made one that was initially plug directly into the charge port but finally opted for another solution by making a connection to the extension cable that goes into the vesc antispark…so that the charge can also be monitored with the voltmeter nice and accurate…also waterproof :slight_smile:

A must have IMO so convenient while riding …

@b264 does this count? Just found out it fits and I’m so fucking happy :joy::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

that’s awesome

2 Likes

Inspired by this thread, I’ve added a USB power supply feature to the voltage indicator.

3 Likes

That’s a good idea

1 Like

Aren’t there any options with smart remotes and screens or smart watches? Sounds like a practical pocket solution, no need to look at the board?

There are many such options, but here are the ones which plug into the charge port :rofl:

In fact, there are so many options, that building battery gauges into boards is long since obsolete.

3 Likes

What accurate reader would you suggest for my bike? I just recently installed a permanent one. But it would be fun to have a portable one I could use for it. C13 plugs

3 Likes