Please critique my ultralight electric "paragliding skateboard"

I’ve got a 40t wheel gear and 16t motor gear.

That’s an interesting option. I don’t know that I trust its 650w hub motor to take me up the mountain. If it could, that is actually a really good board.

It would probably melt. They don’t handle sustained loads well as they’re shit at dissipating heat. Coupled with their complete lack of temp sensors, its dangerous to push them like that.

7% hill? come on

I would seriously consider a 15T motor pulley. Dickyho has them in steel. Aluminum wear out too fast; it’s worth the extra weight.

Also this

If you have a belt already or order the wrong size, this is how to hit it exactly on the second try.

1 Like

Here is what I currently have built.

Single 6355 Reacher motor
10s1p P45B battery. (This should get me close to launch. If not all the way, I can hike the last bit)
145mm Boardonomics trucks
80mm Orangutang wheels
Custom carbon fiber penny board or custom velocity etch board
Skyart VESC

The board runs great. I haven’t tested the range, but hill climbing is impressive.

My question is this, I would like to use less motor amperage when going uphill. If I increase my battery from 10s to 12s, will this help keep my motor amps down, and my motor running cooler?

3 Likes

If thats your only change, no. Just increasing the voltage will give you more top end.

Youd need to increase voltage and then use more gearing reduction to reduce the motor amps required.

3 Likes

What does going up to 12s instead of 10s do for range? I thought increasing to 12s would just add top speed.

Youre adding two cells, hence 20% more capacity/more range.

1 Like

The voltage increase should allow a quality motor to work more efficiently/increase speed, but since it’s a 1p pack ymmv in terms of hitting sag limits or getting any real advantages.

Since it’s a lousy 2 cells of weight I would say go for it, very little to lose. Don’t forget to adjust ESC settings

1 Like

He’s adding length not girth :crazy_face:

1 Like

When I read the title I totally had you strapped to the board,flying. I was born in flat land ,well below sea level. So I instantly assumed,this guy is from some place like New Orleans,but wants to fly,this will be interesting.

It’s still interesting,but more practical. I know it sounds funny but I bet my board could fly with the right amount of lift and not having a 14s 12 p battery.

This looks very portable :+1:

increase the gearing ratio or get a motor with less kv

I think you need a bigger motor. I have two flipsky 6374 with orangutang wheels on my omakase

1 Like

12s vs 10s on the same motor/gearing/wheel size will not change motor amps on the same hill at the same speed.

Charge the gearing to lower the top speed, or get a 6374 vs a 6355. Going 12s vs 10s can regain lost top speed, but if you’ve already built the battery this doesn’t seem like a great option.

What are your actual motor temps? Are you thermal throttling? They can usually handle 80-100C on the temp sensor, which is too hot to touch. The housing won’t be as hot as the temp sensor, but even 60C can be too hot to touch, so that’s generally not a good indicator of a motor overheating.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply,

I just ordered a 6374 with your advice. The 6355 can handle inclines, but I need to put out 40 motor amps to get it up the steep mountain. The motor gets to 80C very quickly and I have to stop.

I am using 14 to 40 gearing. I can’t go much more than that because the 40t pulley is already almost the size of my 80mm wheel.

2 Likes